Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2021/06/21 10:17:27 UTC

JSP regressions - do we need a new set of releases

All,

Despite the extra tests I added to improve code coverage to almost 100%
for JSP code generation, the changes I made to remove unnecessary code
have triggered a couple of regressions. There is no easy way to avoid
these regressions.

Given the above do we want to pull forward the July release round and
start the next set of releases soon / today / this week?

There is a balance to strike between getting fixed releases out that
address these regressions and allowing enough time for any further
regressions to be identified.

Thoughts?

Mark

Re: JSP regressions - do we need a new set of releases

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 21/06/2021 14:16, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 12:17 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> Despite the extra tests I added to improve code coverage to almost 100%
>> for JSP code generation, the changes I made to remove unnecessary code
>> have triggered a couple of regressions. There is no easy way to avoid
>> these regressions.
>>
>> Given the above do we want to pull forward the July release round and
>> start the next set of releases soon / today / this week?
>>
>> There is a balance to strike between getting fixed releases out that
>> address these regressions and allowing enough time for any further
>> regressions to be identified.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> The rate at which they are reported is not too alarming so far. Maybe
> we can keep these as July releases but move them forward (the previous
> tags was on 06/08, with further delays for retags and cleanups, so
> maybe we could plan a tag on 07/01).

Sounds reasonable. The tag only ever slips as things come in at the last
minute so I'll start the process shortly of updating the translations,
checking the dependencies etc and we can see where we are once
everything is ready to tag.

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 12:17 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> Despite the extra tests I added to improve code coverage to almost 100%
> for JSP code generation, the changes I made to remove unnecessary code
> have triggered a couple of regressions. There is no easy way to avoid
> these regressions.
>
> Given the above do we want to pull forward the July release round and
> start the next set of releases soon / today / this week?
>
> There is a balance to strike between getting fixed releases out that
> address these regressions and allowing enough time for any further
> regressions to be identified.
>
> Thoughts?

The rate at which they are reported is not too alarming so far. Maybe
we can keep these as July releases but move them forward (the previous
tags was on 06/08, with further delays for retags and cleanups, so
maybe we could plan a tag on 07/01).

Rémy