Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2015/09/07 06:46:51 UTC

Headers in Generated JS files (was Re: [LAST CALL] Release FlexJS/FalconJX 0.5.0)

On 9/5/15, 12:47 AM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>>This topic did make we wonder if we should add a line to each generated
>> file with something like:
>>
>> “Generated by Apache Flex FalconJX Compiler”
>
>IMO probably best to ask on legal discuss? The answer is unclear to me.

So I did ask on Legal Discuss.  The responses seem to conclude that there
is no policy or requirements, but we should eventually do something.  So
far, one suggestion is to add a “Generated by..” statement in each file.
Another suggestion was to look to see what other transpilers were doing.
I looked at the Google Closure Compiler and found that there is a JSDoc
@license tag you can put in the source headers and it will copy that into
the output JS.  Right now, I’m not too keen on visiting all of our .as
files to add the JSDoc tag and go through the iterative process of finding
ones we missed and then adding such a feature to FalconJX.  So, I think
the options are:

1) Do nothing
2) Add a “Generated by Apache Flex FalconJX Compiler 0.5.0 from <path to
.as file>”.
3) Add @license support to FalconJX and our source files.

I’m leaning towards #2.  What do others think?

-Alex