Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Nicholas Pappas <ni...@rightstep.org> on 2004/12/18 19:00:51 UTC

Installing Subversion Server - Seeking Suggestions

	Hello all.

	I am planning on re-working my server setup this weekend, and will be
installing a Subversion server (on Gentoo Linux) as I do so.  There will
only be one repository at first, and I will never be hosting anything of
amazing importance, but I'd like to "get it right".
	Where is the suggested location -- not the default, the suggested ;) --
for installing a Subversion server tree?  The system I am installing it
on will have a 10G, 40G and 80G HD.  It would seem to make sence to me
to make the Subversion path its own partition, should I go as far as to
give it a complete drive?
	The server will also work as my local web server for development and my
mail server.
	Any suggestions on space/location for the Subversion tree is greatly
appreciated.

	Nick

Re: Installing Subversion Server - Seeking Suggestions

Posted by Chris Jensen <cj...@edex.com.au>.
Hi Nick,
I've been running subversion under Gentoo for about 6 months now,
connecting to it via Apache.
I've been using the portage ebuild of it, and have had no problems with
several 1.0.x versions and now running 1.1.1

As for location, I'm running several repositories, each one in a
subdirectory under /var/svn (mainly because /var/svn was where the
gentoo ebuild suggested).
But if you want to "do it right" then you should check out the File
Heirachy Standard at http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ which I think would
put the data under /srv

Regards
Chris

Chris Jensen cjensen@edex.com.au

Educational Experience (Australia)
Postal Address: PO Box 860, Newcastle NSW 2300
Freecall:       1-800-025 270      International: +61-2-4923 8222
Fax:            (02) 4942 1991     International: +61-2-4942 1991

Visit our online Toy store! http://www.toysandmore.com.au/

Re: Installing Subversion Server - Seeking Suggestions

Posted by Nicholas Pappas <ni...@rightstep.org>.
	Another quick question for you Oliver, since you are using Gentoo.  Are
you using the portage package of subversion, or did you build it from
the source?
	I generally like to stick to portage just because it is easier to keep
everything up to date, but have run into brocken builds more then once.
	Thanks!

Re: Installing Subversion Server - Seeking Suggestions

Posted by Nicholas Pappas <ni...@rightstep.org>.
Oliver Pajonk wrote:
> I've been running Subversion on Gentoo some time now on my little
> voodoo-box (it does almost anything for me, from routing to
> fileserving to dns to mail to webserving and so on).

	Thanks Oliver.

	Could I ask a favor, could you list your partition table?  I don't plan
on hosting a ton of source, but I'd like to get it right.  How big is
your /var?
	Another question, if I could -- I generally format my Linux drives to
ext3 (except the /boot).  Is there any particular advantage to use XFS
in this case?

	Thanks!

Re: Installing Subversion Server - Seeking Suggestions

Posted by Oliver Pajonk <ol...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:00:51 -0500, Nicholas Pappas <ni...@rightstep.org> wrote:
>         Hello all.
>
>         I am planning on re-working my server setup this weekend, and will be
> installing a Subversion server (on Gentoo Linux) as I do so.  There will
> only be one repository at first, and I will never be hosting anything of
> amazing importance, but I'd like to "get it right".
>         Where is the suggested location -- not the default, the suggested ;) --
> for installing a Subversion server tree?  The system I am installing it
> on will have a 10G, 40G and 80G HD.  It would seem to make sence to me
> to make the Subversion path its own partition, should I go as far as to
> give it a complete drive?
>         The server will also work as my local web server for development and my
> mail server.
>         Any suggestions on space/location for the Subversion tree is greatly
> appreciated.

I've been running Subversion on Gentoo some time now on my little
voodoo-box (it does almost anything for me, from routing to
fileserving to dns to mail to webserving and so on). I use subversion
for work, private joy and I also host some repositories for friends
and all I can say is that it just runs perfect. I just put the
repositories under /var/svn (/var is on an extra partition here, XFS
afair) but I think that if you do not plan to place 1GB+ sources into
the repository and if you do not work with 20+ developers: put it
anywhere. The best choice is probably the hdd that you trust most :-)

Oliver Pajonk