Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2003/08/28 00:47:50 UTC

[pcollections][PROPOSAL] Primitive collections - new sandbox component from [collections]

The attached proposal is to create a new Sandbox project, named
[pcollections] to house a complete set of primitive collections. Reasoning:

1) [collections] is already large, and primitive-collections and collections
actually have remarkably little in common

2) The current primitive collections code in [collections] is completely
isolated from the rest of the [collections] code, a sure-fire indicator of
being better in a separate project with its own release cycle

3) A positive response from Soren Bak of the PCJ project to integrate a
complete set of primitive-collections together in one place.

This mail is to enable anyone to
- object to the idea
- come up with a better name than pcollections
- to volunteer support (please!!)
- or any other comment :-)

Stephen

Re: [pcollections][PROPOSAL] Primitive collections - new sandbox component from [collections]

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, David Graham wrote:

> --- __matthewHawthorne <mh...@alumni.pitt.edu> wrote:
> > It appears to be a requirement that all commons code must run on Java
> > 1.2, but I'm not quite sure why.
>
> This is not a requirement.  Each project can choose what their minimum
> Java level is.

Dunno. Officially, Jakarta Commons exists to serve other Jakarta projects.
At the moment 1.2 is the minimum for most of these, but with a lot of the
servlet level ones going to 1.4, maybe we could consider doing that too.

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- __matthewHawthorne <mh...@alumni.pitt.edu> wrote:
> Java 1.5 is going to have a lot of new tricks, such as the auto boxing
> and unboxing that you're referring to, also generics, enums, etc.  I've
> played with the prototype compiler, and I have to say, the new features
> are pretty cool.  It seems that a lot of the things they are providing
> have been implemented in some way already in commons.
>
> It appears to be a requirement that all commons code must run on Java
> 1.2, but I'm not quite sure why.

This is not a requirement.  Each project can choose what their minimum
Java level is.

David

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Re: [pcollections][PROPOSAL] Primitive collections - new sandbox component from [collections]

Posted by __matthewHawthorne <mh...@alumni.pitt.edu>.

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- "Sean W. Ferguson" <se...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Isn't Java 1.5 going to have this?

Yes, Java 1.5's autoboxing of primitives gives you this functionality.

David

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Re: [pcollections][PROPOSAL] Primitive collections - new sandbox component from [collections]

Posted by "Sean W. Ferguson" <se...@comcast.net>.

Posted by __matthewHawthorne <mh...@alumni.pitt.edu>.