Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2004/02/19 08:46:40 UTC

Begging for releases

Avalon has a lot of different subprojects where some of them are more
"active" then others. I think a general policy however for all projects
should be "release early, release often".

So I kindly ask you for new release for the following subprojects:

excalibur-component
excalibur-sourceresolve
excalibur-store
excalibur-xmlutil
fortress-container
fortress-tools
excalibur-logger

At the Cocoon project we really suffer from the fact that we currently have
to use CVS versions that are not tagged ect. This makes it very hard
for users to get the corresponding source code. As all of these projects
are used and can therefore be considered stable and as the latest CVS
in all cases contains a lot of bug fixes and enhancements, it really
makes sense to release them.

I would release them but two things are preventing me:
a) a pmc vote is required (right?)
b) I can't build the releases as the build process is not working for me

So, what do you think?

Carsten

Carsten Ziegeler
Open Source Group, S&N AG
http://www.osoco.net/weblogs/rael/

Re: Begging for releases

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Now, I would prefer, if first a vote would be started about the
> release and then the process. Otherwise the work will be (again)
> for the trash can.

good point.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Re: Begging for releases

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> And this is exactly what I don't want to do again. The last time
> I tried it (and you tried it as well) it all failed because of a
> veto for the release as someone said "There are no docs, I don't
> know what it's all about and I don't like it". Or something similar.
> And I don't want to go through this again.

Just for reference ... nobody can veto a release vote - its a majority
vote with a quorum of 3.  Nobody can veto a PMC vote to publish - its a
simple majority with a quorum of 50% of PMC members.  Releases happen
because someone wants the release and is prepared to put the time and
effort into making it happen.

Stephen.

RE: Begging for releases

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> all we need is a release manager, and some people willing to
> do some work.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/avalon/AvalonReleaseManagerHowto
> http://wiki.apache.org/avalon/AvalonDistributionLayout
>
> (latter may be somewhat out of date, I'm not sure)
>
> I got like 60% of the work for doing a release cycle of the
> stuff you need done a while ago, but that kinda stalled since
> there weren't enough people volunteering to help do some things. See
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=106838627008920&w
> =2 and follow-up.
>
> Don't worry about item (a)...if someone gets out quality
> release candidates it should be just a formality.

And this is exactly what I don't want to do again. The last time
I tried it (and you tried it as well) it all failed because of a
veto for the release as someone said "There are no docs, I don't
know what it's all about and I don't like it". Or something similar.
And I don't want to go through this again.

As I can only repeat: the projects I'm speaking of are stable
and work perfectly, so they are ready for release.

Re: Begging for releases

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.

Re: Begging for releases

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Although having released versions of Avalon components is obviously the
> better solution, is there anything that prevents Cocoon committers that
> are also Avalon committers to tag some of these components?

no.

> Is a vote needed to place a tag on the CVS?

no.

Any committer can post jars and distributions to www.apache.org/dist/ as
long as they've got a "beta" suffix to their version (and some advance
notice would be nice ;)).

Of course, before any such a release can be posted, the 2.0 license
should be applied to the file :D

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Re: Begging for releases

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Avalon has a lot of different subprojects where some of them are more
>"active" then others. I think a general policy however for all projects
>should be "release early, release often".
>
>So I kindly ask you for new release for the following subprojects:
>
>excalibur-component
>excalibur-sourceresolve
>excalibur-store
>excalibur-xmlutil
>fortress-container
>fortress-tools
>excalibur-logger
>
>At the Cocoon project we really suffer from the fact that we currently have
>to use CVS versions that are not tagged ect. This makes it very hard
>for users to get the corresponding source code. As all of these projects
>are used and can therefore be considered stable and as the latest CVS
>in all cases contains a lot of bug fixes and enhancements, it really
>makes sense to release them.
>
>I would release them but two things are preventing me:
>a) a pmc vote is required (right?)
>b) I can't build the releases as the build process is not working for me
>
>So, what do you think?

Although having released versions of Avalon components is obviously the
better solution, is there anything that prevents Cocoon committers that
are also Avalon committers to tag some of these components?

Is a vote needed to place a tag on the CVS? We can also define a naming
convention to identify tags related to Cocoon needs, e.g. name them
"cocoon_xxxx".

Sylvain

RE: Begging for releases

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Yes, this is a good question. My personal opinion is that
Avalon does not provide the infrastructure (or at least
not a sufficient one).

Well, and if Avalon does not provide it, we will find other
ways for sure.

Carsten

Re: Begging for releases

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 19 February 2004 15:46, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> excalibur-component
> excalibur-sourceresolve
> excalibur-store
> excalibur-xmlutil
> fortress-container
> fortress-tools
> excalibur-logger

The more I see this kind of requests, the more I think that either Avalon
provides the infrastructure for component hosting, or is not involved at all
with the components.

In either case, let the stake-holders be the rulers.

Cheers
Niclas