Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Michael Dagaev <mi...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/24 14:50:13 UTC

Question on region server/data node restart

Hi, all

     As I understand, I can stop a region server and a data node in a cluster
"semi-transparently" for clients, i. e. the requests handled  by the
region server
at that time will fail, but cluster will be working.

If I start the data node and region server  I do not have to do anything to make
them work.

Is it correct ?

Thank you for your cooperation,
M.

Re: Question on region server/data node restart

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
Correction, I was suggesting 0.18.2 (the svn branch) since it has many fixes
that Michael would need and it won't break anything for him (as 0.19.0 will
do with MR jobs).

J-D

Posted by Michael Dagaev <mi...@gmail.com>.
     Thank you for reminding, Stack.

I will look through the release notes and
probably raise the issue today on the team meeting.

M.

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Michael Dagaev <mi...@gmail.com>.
No problem :)

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Dagaev <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Dagaev <mi...@gmail.com>.
Sorry. I mean some req

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Dagaev <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Dagaev <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
Well if a region server dies instead of being cleanly shut down, it takes in
the worst case 180 seconds (a region server lease length) before the Master
reassigns the regions. Clients trying to connect to that server will take
IIRC 10 seconds to figure the node is down then the time to communicate with

Posted by Michael Dagaev <mi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, now it is clear.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Dagaev <mi...@gmail.com>.