Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by "McIntyre, Kevin" <Ke...@intuit.com> on 2018/02/22 19:56:41 UTC

Onboarding questions

Hello – I’m a newbie so forgive me for blasting out an email to sort some confusion I have that isn’t clear from the website.

After download Jackrabbit 2.16.1 war – unjarring setting up bootstrap.properties – rejarring and deploying (Apache Tomcat/8.5.28 & JRE 1.8.0_162-b12)  I get 2 errors.
java.io.FileNotFoundException: derby.log (Permission denied)
ERROR XBM02: Startup failed due to missing functionality for org.apache.derby.iapi.types.DataValueFactory. Please ensure your classpath includes the correct Derby software.

What’s the difference/relationship between Jackrabbit and Oak?

I really appreciate any pointers.

--
kevin_mcintyre@intuit.com

Re: Onboarding questions

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
On 2018-02-23 04:01, McIntyre, Kevin wrote:
> Thanks for that - I too saw that…but I doubted that as the issue since I’m just deploying the pre-built war.
>
> Ended up switching to jackrabbit-oak with the understanding that it’s based on JCR 2.0 – whereas jackrabbit is JCR 1.0

Both are JCR 2.0. Oak is a completely new stack, but the JCR API
implemented is the same.

> The versions are confusing – for instance why is there jackrabbit-oak 1.4.x, 1.6.x and 1.8.x?

Different branches. Moving to another branch can change APIs in
incompatible ways, so we maintain older ones for quite some time.

> More specificity to these differences would be helpful to onboarding.

"latest stable" is usually what you want.

Best regards, Julian

Re: Onboarding questions

    On 2018-02-22 20:56, McIntyre, Kevin wrote:
    > Hello – I’m a newbie so forgive me for blasting out an email to sort some confusion I have that isn’t clear from the website.
    >
    > After download Jackrabbit 2.16.1 war – unjarring setting up bootstrap.properties – rejarring and deploying (Apache Tomcat/8.5.28 & JRE 1.8.0_162-b12)  I get 2 errors.
    > java.io.FileNotFoundException: derby.log (Permission denied)
    > ERROR XBM02: Startup failed due to missing functionality for org.apache.derby.iapi.types.DataValueFactory. Please ensure your classpath includes the correct Derby software.
    >
    > What’s the difference/relationship between Jackrabbit and Oak?
    >
    > I really appreciate any pointers.

    Maybe
    <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40867163/derby-embedded-driver-error-xbm02-please-ensure-your-classpath-includes-the-corr>?

Re: Onboarding questions