Posted to fop-commits@xmlgraphics.apache.org by je...@apache.org on 2004/02/27 19:24:38 UTC

cvs commit: xml-fop/src/hyph cs.xml da.xml de.xml de_DR.xml el.xml en_GB.xml en_US.xml fr.xml nl.xml no.xml sk.xml tr.xml

jeremias    2004/02/27 10:24:38

  Removed:     src/hyph cs.xml da.xml de.xml de_DR.xml el.xml en_GB.xml
                        en_US.xml fr.xml nl.xml no.xml sk.xml tr.xml
  Log:
  Removed legally problematic files as done for the maintenance branch.

Re: cvs commit: xml-fop/src/hyph cs.xml da.xml de.xml de_DR.xml el.xml en_GB.xml en_US.xml fr.xml nl.xml no.xml sk.xml tr.xml

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Simon Pepping wrote:
>>  Removed:     src/hyph cs.xml da.xml de.xml de_DR.xml el.xml en_GB.xml
>>                        en_US.xml fr.xml nl.xml no.xml sk.xml tr.xml
>>  Log:
>>  Removed legally problematic files as done for the maintenance branch.
>

> What are those legal problems? The Dutch file nl.xml is based on the
> hyphenation patterns created by the Dutch TeX user group, and are
> freely distributed with TeX software. Why cannot FOP distribute them?

The XML file says
   Original (TeX) author: Piet Tutelaers
   Transformed to XML by: Reinout Verkerk (rverkerk@hotmail.com)
   Character encoding corrections by: Carlos Villegas
without further license or copyright indications, which makes
them copyright holders and gives them exclusive rights.

The original isn't easy to track down but is probably here
   http://euridice.tue.nl/~ptutelae/TeX/nederlands/dutch96.pat
and says:
% COPYRIGHT (C) 1996: Piet Tutelaers
%
% COPYING: This file can be distributed freely if its contents and name
%	   is UNCHANGED and as long as you don't ask money for it.

This is not compatible with the APL.

I'm sure noone of the mentioned guys will oppose putting the stuff
under APL 2.0 but we should at least ask. Well, Jeremias asked last
year, without any result so far, I think.

J.Pietschmann

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
With the help of many people I've done an licensing audit last March.
See the Wiki page [1] for the whole protocol. The original Dutch
hyphenation file that was used to create nl.xml is published under the
LPPL license which includes a restriction that makes it impossible for
The Apache Foundation to use and distribute.

[1] http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?FOPAudits/March2003

On 27.02.2004 21:14:40 Simon Pepping wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 06:24:38PM -0000, jeremias@apache.org wrote:
> > jeremias    2004/02/27 10:24:38
> >
> >   Removed:     src/hyph cs.xml da.xml de.xml de_DR.xml el.xml en_GB.xml
> >                         en_US.xml fr.xml nl.xml no.xml sk.xml tr.xml
> >   Log:
> >   Removed legally problematic files as done for the maintenance branch.
>
> What are those legal problems? The Dutch file nl.xml is based on the
> hyphenation patterns created by the Dutch TeX user group, and are
> freely distributed with TeX software. Why cannot FOP distribute them?

Jeremias Maerki

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
Can you give us a link stating that?  I know we can't
distribute (L)GPL stuff, if that is the issue.

Thanks,
Glen

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.