Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/15 12:15:49 UTC

[DISCUSS] bumping Qpid JMS to 1.0.0 and requiring Java 11+

Hi folks,

I would like to propose bumping Qpid JMS up to version 1.0.0+ for
future releases, and simultaneously require Java 11+ for those new
releases, leaving further Java 8 support efforts with the existing 0.x
stream. Barring discussion otherwise I would look to release such a
combination in May.

Java 11 has been the current Java LTS release since September 2018,
and Java 17 will arrive in September to supplant even it. It is over 4
years since we required Java 8+ usage, which was itself a bit over 2
years after first requiring Java 7+ usage (in the old JMS client, the
current one started out on Java 7+). I have seen other projects
discussing transition to Java 11+ for over a year now, with some since
having made the change and some being in progress or imminently so. I
think now is an appropriate time to begin requiring Java 11+.

On the version number I think the codebase has been stable for several
years and the API is fixed, so it's probably long overdue that we just
did it. Other versions numbers are still available if we need them
later.

Doing both at the same time would make it simpler/clearer to
distinguish old and new, simplifying doing future maintenance releases
for the old 0.x line to support JDK8 users for a further period of
time, for example if a security issue arises or just to backport some
important fixes.

Thoughts?

Robbie

Re: [DISCUSS] bumping Qpid JMS to 1.0.0 and requiring Java 11+

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
I dont see a great need or benefit to delay doing a 1.0.0 release or
introducing a Java 11+ stream over a significant period at this point,
no. This time last year, perhaps...but now, I think it is a suitable
time to simply get the ball rolling.

Note I'm only saying to do a 1.0.0 client release that requires 11+,
not that we won't do further 0.x releases supporting Java 8+. The
existing releases will work just as well on Java 8 as they do now, and
if something especially serious comes up we can look to backport it (I
expect I'd be happy doing one every so often for bug fixes for at
least the next year). No matter how much notice is given there are
always folks who just continue using the old version (or more
realistically, an ever older-still stale version of it :P).

(Also, this discussion is only about qpid-jms-client, not
qpid-broker-j; I'll leave any planning on that front to Alex given he
is the one actually maintaining its releases)

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Tim Bish

Re: [DISCUSS] bumping Qpid JMS to 1.0.0 and requiring Java 11+

Posted by Oleksandr Rudyy <or...@gmail.com>.
+1 to both: JDK11 and bumping Qpid JMS up to version 1.0.0

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
that makes sense to me. 1.0 is long over due

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
I agree, Robbie. Good idea.

Steve Huston
(sent from my iPhone - please excuse brevity and typos)