Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart <Ed...@Sun.COM> on 2001/03/23 19:53:17 UTC

[Fwd: Re: [OT]: Compile time tags. (XSLT preprocessing of JSP)]

James sez...
> > A separate feature is "JSP fragments as tags".  Although there are
> > related issues, they are really quite different.
>
> I like this idea! Though I'm not sure how easy it would be to refer to (say)
> tag attributes in the JSP - this might be easier in XSLT. We'll know better
> when we've tried both approaches...
>
> I'd also like "JSP fragments in functions" so Java code (inside JSP tags or
> JavaBeans) can "call" JSP repeatedly via a Java method call (passing in the
> pageContext) without the overhead of doing a JSP include. I'll post a really
> good use case to this list shortly of why I'd like that feature...

Right, I think of these as two approaches addressing the same class of
requirement.  I think you want to take a collection of actions (Java
fragments / template) and abstract some pieces of it so you can invoke
it nicely.  Say as:

  <x:doMyFragment>
	<x:oneArg>HERE GOES THE ARGUMENT VALUE - as JSP that is evaluated
...</x:oneArg>
  </x:doMyFragment>

THis is also related to the OPARAM of ATG pages, and to arguments by
name...

and thanks for the idea on errors.  I think that in general there is
stuff that can be done if one assumes there is a web server "nearby".

	- eduard/o

From: "Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart" <Ed...@Sun.COM>

Just another thought about validation, then I'll get back in my box :-)

Often site builders and designers are increasingly editing the JSP in
some
editor (Allaire, Macromedia et al) then pressing save and refresh on
their
browser so the JSP recompiles & executes again. Maybe a tool vendor may
wish
to transform erroneous XML tag usage into nicely formatted JSP which
when
executed displays a nicely formatted web page highlighting all the
errors &
line numbers etc...

> A separate feature is "JSP fragments as tags".  Although there are
> related issues, they are really quite different.

I like this idea! Though I'm not sure how easy it would be to refer to
(say)
tag attributes in the JSP - this might be easier in XSLT. We'll know
better
when we've tried both approaches...

I'd also like "JSP fragments in functions" so Java code (inside JSP tags
or
JavaBeans) can "call" JSP repeatedly via a Java method call (passing in
the
pageContext) without the overhead of doing a JSP include. I'll post a
really
good use case to this list shortly of why I'd like that feature...

> BTW, sorry to be picky, but your .sig says "can't redistribute"...

Whoops. I was sending emails from my current clients site SMTP server &
they
were appending the sig and I hadn't noticed - well spotted eduardo! Will
use
good old Yahoo email until I get it sorted...

<James/>