Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/21 15:11:01 UTC

My response to Matt Raible's presentation at Devoxx 2010

Hi all,

some of us were kind of shocked by Tapestry grades in Matt Raible's
presentation at Devoxx 2010. I feel like a public answer is needed. Here is
my response to Matt:

http://blog.tapestry5.de/index.php/2010/11/21/response-to-matt-raibles-presentation-at-devoxx-2010/

--
Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko
http://tapestry5.de

Re: My response to Matt Raible's presentation at Devoxx 2010

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Katia,

I'm neither obsessed with ATG or Oracle, nor with SpringSource and their
products (as some may feel a little bit about Matt's ranking [?]) just
putting some of the more "Vertical" or Business capable examples into a much
smaller list, than he did there with a whole lot of different frameworks
both in- and outside the browser.

If you'd claim anything I was especially interested in, that "Domain Driven"
or "Vertical" aspect of some frameworks is clearly among them. I help shape
some framworks or base libraries even the "darlings" like Grails or Spring
like to use sometimes, and some of them are likely to get a slightly wider
use from Java 7 onwards...

Werner

Posted by Katia Aresti <ka...@gmail.com>.
@Werner :

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for sharing those.

>From the "complete stack" point of view, it clearly exceeds Tapestry, Spring
MVC, Seam and most others, but given the aggressive product policy
SpringSource/vmware follows with almost everything wrapped in Spring now
(yesterday Social Networking, today Android) they have alternatives (most of
them Open Source) to many of these components.

Which is most likely, why Oracle bolstered up its "arsenal". Although they
have other alternatives and who knows, some day we might even see ATG
running on Glassfish [?]

Posted by Katia Aresti <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Katia Aresti <ka...@gmail.com>.
2010/11/21 Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>

> It got more than JSF [?]
>
> Although Oracle was to some extent present, since it was forced to change
> its name from JavaPolis, DevoXX hasn't been quite the same any more. While
> still called JavaPolis I noticed, the rather aggressive style of a Rails
> speaker, and it may not bee too surprising, All the (G)Rails & Co. style
> frameworks beside GWT and Spring were ranked higher here, too. Indeed, I
> only was asked to help one really large Tapestry project so far, but at
> least that one's for one of the largest *telcos *in the world [?] Competing
> only with *ATG*, the framework now taken over by Oracle. That is a move,
> Matt and others may not have considered at all, but the message behind it is
> clearly to compete with most of those listed here and vendors like vmware or
> Red Hat.

what do you mean with ATG here ? I don't understand.