Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org> on 2006/05/12 17:42:24 UTC

iPOJO: New subproject contribution

Hello everyone,

I am happy to announce a new contribution to Felix, called iPOJO. This
is part of the PhD work from Clement Escoffier with whom I work. We are
exploring how to simplify programming in dynamic environments like OSGi.

In some ways, iPOJO can be seen as Service Binder++ or Declarative
Services++, but this is really only the first step since we want to
investigate more sophisticated dynamic service composition mechanisms.
Further, the approach is completely different, employing byte code
manipulation that enables us to do some interesting things that are not
possible with these other approaches, such as significantly limiting the
amount of metadata required or having dynamic service properties as two
examples.

Clement has done a great job with this so far, but it is still in its
early stages. Regardless, it is already quite usable and useful. Refer
to Clement's home page for more details:

    http://www-adele.imag.fr/~escoffie/dev/ipojo/

The first link on the above page is a simple tutorial and service
component model overview. Expect there to be issues, but feedback is
welcome.

iPOJO includes a modified version of Peter Kriens' contribution to our
OSGi plugin, which greatly simplifies creating bundles. [Side note: we
are still waiting for Apache to receive Peter's ICLA, I refaxed again
and will mail it.]

Regarding iPOJO's paperwork, we have both CCLA and ICLA on file, so we
are basically ready to go.

Let us know what you think.

-> richard

Re: iPOJO: New subproject contribution

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Trustin Lee wrote:
> iPOJO is very interesting, as you told me, that it can generate an OSGi
> component from POJO very easily.  Actually I'd like to see some synergy
> between iPOJO and Spring 2.0.  Spring already provides great infra to do
> dependency injection and now version 2.0 supports extensible beans xml
> file
> that supports custom tags.  Transforming iPOJO features into Spring
> 2.0custom tags would be really nice.
>
> Anyway, the general idea is really nice.  Here's my +1.

Thanks for the feedback. We will certainly track what Spring is doing.

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
On 5/13/06, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am happy to announce a new contribution to Felix, called iPOJO. This
> is part of the PhD work from Clement Escoffier with whom I work. We are
> exploring how to simplify programming in dynamic environments like OSGi.
>
> In some ways, iPOJO can be seen as Service Binder++ or Declarative
> Services++, but this is really only the first step since we want to
> investigate more sophisticated dynamic service composition mechanisms.
> Further, the approach is completely different, employing byte code
> manipulation that enables us to do some interesting things that are not
> possible with these other approaches, such as significantly limiting the
> amount of metadata required or having dynamic service properties as two
> examples.
>
> Clement has done a great job with this so far, but it is still in its
> early stages. Regardless, it is already quite usable and useful. Refer
> to Clement's home page for more details:
>
>     http://www-adele.imag.fr/~escoffie/dev/ipojo/
>
> The first link on the above page is a simple tutorial and service
> component model overview. Expect there to be issues, but feedback is
> welcome.
>
> iPOJO includes a modified version of Peter Kriens' contribution to our
> OSGi plugin, which greatly simplifies creating bundles. [Side note: we
> are still waiting for Apache to receive Peter's ICLA, I refaxed again
> and will mail it.]
>
> Regarding iPOJO's paperwork, we have both CCLA and ICLA on file, so we
> are basically ready to go.
>
> Let us know what you think.

iPOJO is very interesting, as you told me, that it can generate an OSGi
component from POJO very easily.  Actually I'd like to see some synergy
between iPOJO and Spring 2.0.  Spring already provides great infra to do
dependency injection and now version 2.0 supports extensible beans xml file
that supports custom tags.  Transforming iPOJO features into Spring
2.0custom tags would be really nice.

Anyway, the general idea is really nice.  Here's my +1.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6