Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Aleksey Ignatenko <al...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/06 12:31:35 UTC

[launcher][crash handling]Minidump files support on Windows

Hi all.
I filed *HARMONY-3124*
<http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-3124> introducing
minidups generation code in case of crash. Minidump is something like dump
file on linux. This functionality could significantly improve process of
reproducing and fixing intermittent crashes as minidumps on Windows contain
complete information of call stacks and locals on the moment of crash. Also
CC can send information of crashes with minidumps attached.

We had some issues with dbghelp library earlier but now it is loaded
dinamically and I think it worths doing it. BTW jrockit generates dump files
on crash.
I'd like to here your opinions on the subject.
I attached the 1-st version patch of minidump support functionality into
H-3124, I suppose it could be improved and I would significantly appreciate
for recommendation from launcher/classlib gurus.

Best regards,
Aleksey Ignatenko.

Re: [launcher][crash handling]Minidump files support on Windows

Posted by Aleksey Ignatenko <al...@gmail.com>.
I described simple testcase to see how it works in H-3124.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
Cool!  I was thinking also about Stefano's suggestion of using airbag
as well...

geir