Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1996/06/07 06:47:21 UTC

Apache shuts itself off! (fwd)

acked without an answer.

From: justinm@www.mos.org
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 10:52:41 -0400
To: mail.apache.org!apache-bugs@taz.hyperreal.com
Subject: Apache shuts itself off!

Hi there,

I'm sorry to be sending this to the bugs line when this is (hopefully) a
stupid question....  Unfortunately, I don't have access to a news server
so I have to bother you with email.

Anyway, the situation is: We are running UNIXWARE (version 1.1.2) on a
UNISYS pentium 90 machine which acts as our web (and email) server.  I am
trying to install apache on our server as the primary httpd. Right now,
I've got it installed and running on a different port from the old (CERN)
web server so I can test it.  In general, everything is working perfectly.
 Apache is much faster and seems to have less problems - fewer crashes,
etc.  The trouble is that when I leave apache running for a few hours or
over-night it shuts itself down!  When I arrive in to work the next
morning, apache is not running anymore....  Is this normal?  I thought
this might be due to inactivity, so I wrote a shell script that goes out
and tries to request a web document (through lynx) from apache once an
hour.  The script runs but apache still shuts itself off and doesn't
restart when there is an http request.  WHY???  How do I stop this???

I hope this is an easy fix, or that I'm missing something obvious, so I
can switch over to apache for good!!!   Please let me know!!!

Thanks in advance for your time,

      Justin Miel
  System Administrator
Science Learning Network  ---	http://www.sln.org/