Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> on 2007/07/18 13:24:55 UTC

Re: Further Jetspeed-2 development plans

David Jencks wrote:
> OK, one more idea :-)
>
> Jetspeed could have an expressive schema for its spring configuration
> file(s) using xbean-spring.  Activemq and servicemix are the main users
> of this today.  What you do is:
>
> -- annotate your spring "beans" with javadoc style psuedo-annotations
> -- run the maven xbean spring plugin to generate one or more schemas for
> the configuration (plus some other configuration metadata files, and
> documentation).
> -- write the spring configuration in the language defined by the schema
> -- change one line in the spring startup stuff.
>
> Here's a link...
> http://geronimo.apache.org/xbean/custom-xml.html
>
> This is pretty easy to do.  I converted the apache directory spring
> config file to xbean spring in a couple of days, including figuring out
> how xbean spring works and extending it to deal with lots of source
> modules.
>
> this does pretty much depend on a working (i.e. maven 2) build :-)
> (sorry, couldn't resist)
So lets get that out of the way first.

> As far as the m2 build goes....
>
> I'm not sure that it's a good idea to insist that current portal m1 and
> m2 customization procedures continue to work unmodified.
That's not what I said or intended, and neither what I think will be even remotely possible.

But we need to deliver clear documentation and instructions how an existing m1 or m2 based custom portal project can be migrated to our new solution.
And maybe even provide tooling and/or scripting support for it if possible.

> I would prefer
> to have as a goal that they are easier to understand and use and are
> less coupled to the actual jetspeed build.
Definitely, but we can't ignore our current community and users and their "legacy" build environments, so supporting them is very important too.

Regards,

Ate

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Timony, Michael wrote:
> What version of Maven2 are you planning on targeting to use for
> building?
As the plan is to start from scratch, I see no reason not to use the latest release 2.0.7, unless someone must have knowledge of some blocking issues with it.

Ate