Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Seckin Uzun <uz...@crk.umn.edu.INVALID> on 2023/03/01 20:33:46 UTC

My file is gone

Hi there,

I lost my file when I clicked the discard button accidentally.

I checked the box showing autosave in every 15 minutes as marked, but I
couldn't see where to restore the file on my Macbook Air.

Can you help me with this?
I had so many hours of studying in that document

Thank you

Seckin I Uzun

Re: My file is gone

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com.INVALID>.
You can find the path of the backups in Preferences … OpenOffice -> Paths

Keep in mind that Backups are only written when you Save the file, which is either press the Save Button or when you Save before you close the file.

The AutoRecovery is only for Recovering the file in case of a System failure or a Power outage while working on the document.

The Time Machine Backups make only backups from files that are saved on the disk, while you work on a document the contents is in memory and memory is not backuped by the Time Machine.

Best practice is to regurarly press the Save Button manualy, if you do this every 10 minutes you only lost 10 minutes of work.

---- On Wed, 01 Mar 2023 21:33:46 +0100 Seckin Uzun <uz...@crk.umn.edu.INVALID> wrote ---

Re: My file is gone

Posted by "Dr. Martin Senftleben" <li...@drmartinus.de>.
I'm not sure if you received help already. I do not use Mac, but Linux,
but I guess OO behaves similar on both systems. There should be a
configuration folder (in Linux, it's hidden and carries a name like
"openoffice". In the subfolder 4/user/backup you should be able to find
the autosaved file.

Martin

Re: My file is gone - did you not backup?

Posted by PCS <pe...@bigpond.com>.
If you have set up TimeMachine to backup automatically you should be able to recover your file from there, TM should have copies up to about an hour before you lost the file, or perhaps the day or week before if you have left it a while to recover it. Ref. Mac Help to find out how to recover documents. Note that you do NOT need to do a full restore from your TM backup unless you have lost all of the data on your computer, in fact you will NOT want to restore to an earlier status, I think you would probably lose your later work if you did that, a full restore is only to recover from total disaster, you can recover individual files from your TM backup by entering TM and scrolling back to the last date on which your lost file was saved and (if I remember correctly from the last time I did this) opening the window and copying or dragging the file to the desktop (but please don’t rely on my memory, check the Help files).

If you are a student you absolutely cannot afford to take the risk of not properly backing up your work, or even your notes, so if you don’t have a Time Machine backup, you should set one up in case of future loss of data, it provides an automatic ongoing backup, provided you have set it up to do so, and if you are using TM and you inadvertently delete a file you can immediately recover it from TM and lose no more than an hour’s work. I haven’t needed to do that for several months, but you only need to do it once to realise the value of TM. If you are using a large enough HD or SSD for your Time Machine backups they can go back years, my current one goes back to July 2021 and it still has enough space available for at least another year or two. I am currently using a small (75 x 55 x 8 mm) 1TB USB SSD that I take with me whenever I go out for any length of time, in case of mishap to the house and computer while I am away, the insurance should pay for a replacement computer but it can’t replace lost data. Ref. Mac Help to find out how to set up TM.

I also do manual backups to an external HD every so often and keep that backup HD in a small fireproof safe (it is not practical for me to keep it off site). The extra manual backup provides an emergency backup in case something goes wrong with both your computer and the Time machine drive, or they get stolen or burnt in a fire or whatever. I have only one manual backup HD, but I keep the two or three most recent manual backups on it, deleting the oldest when I need space for a new one. If I was still studying I would probably do a manual backup once a week or perhaps even more frequently, v/s only ‘as required' now, depending on the importance of work done since the last manual backup. If my work was crucial enough I would alternate two backup drives to avoid the risk of losing all backups if the only backup drive fails, but currently my two backups are the TM drive and the manual one.

In a small business you should backup all essential data daily, rotating two HDs or SSDs, never overwrite your last backup, only the second-last. Ideally the most recent daily backup drives should be stored off site, or at least in a fireproof safe. You should also have a weekly backup, stored off site, e.g. in a Bank safety deposit box, also rotating two drives. A small business can go broke after a fire, or even a theft, because of lost customer account data, i.e. unpaid accounts, but the weekly off-site backup ensures that you won't lose more than a few days records and should be able to survive a minor disaster. These are minimums, by the way, some businesses might require a stronger backup regime.

I am surprised to be writing about backups now, actually, but this is the second query I have seen recently that seems to be suggesting the user has not been backing up properly, so I hope this overview reminds users how important backing up is. MacUsers have no excuse for not at least backing up with TM, I didn’t trust it when it was first released, I was used to doing manual backups and wasn’t sure I could trust an automated backup system, but TM works well, excellently in fact, it is much better than the automatic backup system in Linux, in which I could not work out how to restore an individual file, and it is very much better than the automatic backup system in Windows, which is non-existent according to my daughter, a Windows user for several years, though I admit I found that difficult to believe in this day and age, so maybe the Windows auto-backup system is just more difficult to find and use than Time Machine on the Mac. (If I was a Windows user and Windows really doesn’t have an equivalent of Time Machine I would be looking for an app from a 3rd party developer.)

Every Mac user should be using Time Machine, even if you have no other backups, but I would want at least two backups, either two TM backups (TM can alternate backups between two backup drives) or TM plus a manual backup as I am doing at present, because for alternate TM backups both drives need to be connected, so with two TM backups you wont have a backup in the fireproof safe unless you also have a manual backup.

By the way, if you don’t have much data that needs to be backed up, cloud storage might work for you, but I’ve got too much data on my computer and our ADSL connection is too slow, so I only have a few of our most important files in the cloud, and even with cloud backups a Mac user should also be using Time machine.

PCS