Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Richard Tomlinson <Ri...@t-mobile.co.uk> on 2003/09/22 10:59:55 UTC

Tiles feature required - Struts friendly exception handling.

Delving into the Tiles source has revealed that its not Struts friendly when it comes to dealing with exceptions.

In a Struts environment you ideally want to specify a global error handler so that any exception, be it Struts, JSP or application, is gracefully handled and the user is presented with the usual 'Sorry, an error has occured'.  However, when using Tiles this functionality doesnt seem possible.

Within the InsertTag class, doEndTag() method, all Exceptions are caught and reported by squirting a message out to the JSP writer.  This prevents any handling by the Struts framework and results in a nasty, user unfriendly message appearing within the page.

Has anyone addressed this problem?   Is there a fix in the pipeline for Tiles so that the error handling can be either internal to Tiles or bubbled out to the encompassing framework?

Regards
Richard.

Re: Tiles feature required - Struts friendly exception handling.

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
The InsertTag exception handling issue has been fixed for 1.2.

David

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.