Posted to dev@toree.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2022/02/26 00:03:50 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Toree 0.5.0 RC5

Please vote to approve the release of Apache Toree 0.5.0-incubating (RC4).

The changes in this release are mainly to add support for Spark 3.0.0.

https://github.com/apache/incubator-toree/compare/v0.4.0-incubating-rc1...v0.5.0-incubating-rc5

Also, note that for this release, due to changes on the Incubator release
policy, we are
producing two pip packages, one as apache-toree and another as toree for
backward
compatibility purposes.

Tag: v0.5.0-incubating-rc5 (a803d295d90b39881ccc3de93467a2af199e2dcd)

https://github.com/apache/incubator-toree/tree/v0.5.0-incubating-rc5

All distribution packages, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found
at:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/toree/0.5.0-incubating-rc5/

Staging artifacts can be found at:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetoree-1020

## Testing Instructions

The fastest way to get up and running is to using Jupyter.

1. Install Jupyter if you haven't already (http://jupyter.org/install.html)

2. Install Apache Toree via `pip install
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/toree/0.5.0-incubating-rc5/toree-pip/toree-0.5.0.tar.gz`
followed by `jupyter toree install`

- You need to set a valid Apache Spark 3.x home, which can be done via
`jupyter toree install --spark_home=/usr/local/spark`

- You may need to run with `sudo` for installation permission

- For all installation options, run `jupyter toree install --help-all`

4. Run a Jupyter notebook server via `jupyter notebook`

- If the notebook portion of Jupyter is not installed but Jupyter is,
you can install via `pip install notebook`

5. Create a notebook using "Apache Toree - Scala" from the dropdown under
new
dev
6. Run Scala/Spark commands such as `sc.parallelize(1 to 100).sum()` in the
notebook

## Voting Instructions

The vote is open for at least 72 hours and passes if a majority of at least
3 +1 PMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Toree 0.5.0-incubating

Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975
http://lresende.blogspot.com/

[RESULT] [VOTE] Apache Toree 0.5.0 RC5

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 4:03 PM Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Please vote to approve the release of Apache Toree 0.5.0-incubating (RC4).
>
> The changes in this release are mainly to add support for Spark 3.0.0.
>

> https://github.com/apache/incubator-toree/compare/v0.4.0-incubating-rc1...v0.5.0-incubating-rc5
>
> Also, note that for this release, due to changes on the Incubator release
> policy, we are
> producing two pip packages, one as apache-toree and another as toree for
> backward
> compatibility purposes.
>
> Tag: v0.5.0-incubating-rc5 (a803d295d90b39881ccc3de93467a2af199e2dcd)
>
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-toree/tree/v0.5.0-incubating-rc5
>
> All distribution packages, including signatures, digests, etc. can be
> found at:
>

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/toree/0.5.0-incubating-rc5/
>
> Staging artifacts can be found at:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetoree-1020
>
> ## Testing Instructions
>
> The fastest way to get up and running is to using Jupyter.
>
> 1. Install Jupyter if you haven't already (http://jupyter.org/install.html
> )
>
> 2. Install Apache Toree via `pip install
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/toree/0.5.0-incubating-rc5/toree-pip/toree-0.5.0.tar.gz`
> <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/toree/0.5.0-incubating-rc5/toree-pip/toree-0.5.0.tar.gz>
> followed by `jupyter toree install`
>
> - You need to set a valid Apache Spark 3.x home, which can be done via
> `jupyter toree install --spark_home=/usr/local/spark`
>
> - You may need to run with `sudo` for installation permission
>
> - For all installation options, run `jupyter toree install --help-all`
>
> 4. Run a Jupyter notebook server via `jupyter notebook`
>
> - If the notebook portion of Jupyter is not installed but Jupyter is,
> you can install via `pip install notebook`
>
> 5. Create a notebook using "Apache Toree - Scala" from the dropdown under
> new
> dev
> 6. Run Scala/Spark commands such as `sc.parallelize(1 to 100).sum()` in the
> notebook
>
> ## Voting Instructions
>
> The vote is open for at least 72 hours and passes if a majority of at least
> 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Toree 0.5.0-incubating

Vote has passed with +1 from:
Kevin Bates
Luciano Resende
Chip Senkbell

Re: [VOTE] Apache Toree 0.5.0 RC5

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Of course, my +1 as well, have validated basically functionality on Spark
3.0.1 and 3.1.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Toree 0.5.0 RC5

Posted by Kevin Bates <kb...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Toree 0.5.0 RC5

Posted by Chip Senkbeil <ch...@gmail.com>.
Read through the change log and seems fine to me, but I don't have the
equipment to formally test right now.

So +1 with that caveat.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Toree 0.5.0 RC5

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the feedback, just pushed things to their final location now and
should sync in the next couple of hours.

I will update the website and send an announcement shortly

Re: [VOTE] Apache Toree 0.5.0 RC5

Posted by Artemis User <ar...@dtechspace.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Toree 0.5.0 RC5

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.