Posted to dev@celix.apache.org by Pepijn Noltes <pe...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/26 16:42:25 UTC

Device Access donation

Hi All,

As already mentioned we (Thales Netherlands) wants to donate the OSGi
Device Access implementation to Celix.

I still have some questions in how to do this. As far I know we need
to do the following:

1 Sign and send a Individual Contributor License Agreement (ICLA)
2 Sign and send a Corporate CLA (CCLA)
3 Get approval for device access of one of the PMCs
4 Sign and send a Software Grant Agreement for the device access (SGA)

Is this list correct? And when and how should we provide the source code ?

My idea was to create a Jira issue and attach a patch to that, but I
am not sure if we need to sign a agreement before we can do that.

Greetings,
Pepijn

Re: Device Access donation

Posted by Pepijn Noltes <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

I got an update for the Device Access donation.

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Pepijn Noltes <pe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Did that answer all your questions?
>
> Yes and thanks for the answers.
>
> The current status is now:
>
> Done
> - CCLA for Thales Netherlands is already signed and send
> - Jira issue - with attachment - for the donation is created:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CELIX-29
>
> Todo
> - sign and send a ICLA (me)
> - sign and send a Grant for the Device Access donation (Thales)

Both the ICLA and the Grant for Device Access are signed, send and filed.
So if I am correct the voting for the Device Access donation can start ?

Re: Device Access donation

Posted by Pepijn Noltes <pe...@gmail.com>.

Re: Device Access donation

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
On Jan 30, 2012, at 9:40 , Alexander Broekhuis wrote:

> I'll try to answer what I think/know..
>
> 2012/1/26 Pepijn Noltes <pe...@gmail.com>
>>
>> 1 Sign and send a Individual Contributor License Agreement (ICLA)
>> 2 Sign and send a Corporate CLA (CCLA)
>
> If I am correct these are only needed in the case you become a committer.

Yes. ICLA you need in any case, CCLA if your company requires it (and to be safe it's probably a good idea when in doubt).

> As you have indicated that you want to maintain the code, I think this is a
> good idea. On [1] the process is described.

In fact, even if you don't yet want to become a committer, it's okay to get an ICLA on file. Apache accepts them regardless if you want to be a committer. Admittedly, it makes the most sense if you do want to become one.

> This requires some action on or
> end, we should start the formal discuss and vote if I understand it
> correctly.

Yes. Same goes for the donation, we should also start a vote once that's donated in a JIRA issue.

> [1]: http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html#Voting+in+a+new+committer
>
>> 3 Get approval for device access of one of the PMCs
>
> I am not sure of this step.. Are binding votes needed, and if so how many?
> I think Marcel (or another mentor) can better answer this. I couldn't find
> a direct resource describing this process.

First attach it to a JIRA issue, make sure the Grant (and possibly ICLA) is arranged. Then we can vote on it.

More info on voting in general can be found here [2]. Specific information about the donation and IP clearance can be found here [3].

[2] http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
[3] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#poding-ip-clearance

>> 4 Sign and send a Software Grant Agreement for the device access (SGA)
>
> This one has to be filled in and send to Apache to be able to accept the
> code.

Yup.

>> My idea was to create a Jira issue and attach a patch to that, but I
>> am not sure if we need to sign a agreement before we can do that.
>
> As far as I can tell this is ok. Though I think it should be the sources
> as is, and not a patch. If there are any patches to the original Celix code
> I think it is better to send those as individual issues. This keeps
> licensing and IP issues obvious and separated from the current Celix
> source.

Makes sense.

> I hope this helps, and a mentor can fill in the gaps!

Did that answer all your questions?

Greetings, Marcel

Re: Device Access donation

Posted by Alexander Broekhuis <a....@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I'll try to answer what I think/know..

2012/1/26 Pepijn Noltes <pe...@gmail.com>

> 1 Sign and send a Individual Contributor License Agreement (ICLA)
> 2 Sign and send a Corporate CLA (CCLA)

If I am correct these are only needed in the case you become a committer.
As you have indicated that you want to maintain the code, I think this is a
good idea. On [1] the process is described. This requires some action on or

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Alexander Broekhuis