Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org> on 2011/09/15 16:27:06 UTC

[DISCUSS] - STS framework implementation contribution

All,

I would like to initiate a discussion on contributing a STS (Security
Token Service) framework implementation to CXF. CXF currently has an
STS framework in the ws-security module, and ships with a simple
implementation in the examples. Talend would like to contribute a more
sophisticated implementation of the STS framework to the community. It
supports the following standards:

STS support

- WS-Trust 1.3/1.4
- WS-SecurityPolicy

Supports the following mechanism to authenticate an RST:
- UsernameToken
- SAML token (1.1/2.0)
- KerberosToken
- X509 Token

Following security bindings are supported:
- Symmetric
- Asymmetric
- Transport

Supports Issue/Validate and Cancel binding

Can issue the following tokens:
- SAML 1.1/2.0
      - Holder-Of-Key
      - Bearer
- custom tokens

Issued token can be encrypted

Validate binding supports issuing a new token.
Custom Validator can be implemented

Creation of SAML tokens can be customized:
- authenticationstatement
- attributestatements

Advanced RST elements:
- KeyType (Public, Symmetric, Bearer)
- Entropy (Symmetric, Public)
- OnBehalfOf
- ActAs
- Claims
- SecondaryParameters

- Custom ClaimsHandler

In my opinion, this implementation will greatly enhance CXF's security
story and will help to drive new users to the product. I would like to
ask the CXF community for their opinion on this contribution (+1/-1?).
I would also like to ask for opinions on where it should go in the
source - a new services module, or perhaps a subproject?

Colm.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

http://coheigea.blogspot.com/
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] - STS framework implementation contribution

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
Ok cool. It sounds like people are happy with this contribution. I'll
add an initial version into a new services module on trunk.

Colm.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

--
Willem
----------------------------------

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi

> On Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:27:06 PM Colm O hEigeartaigh wrote:
>> In my opinion, this implementation will greatly enhance CXF's security
>> story and will help to drive new users to the product. I would like to
>> ask the CXF community for their opinion on this contribution (+1/-1?).
>

> As someone who's been trying to push for this in Talend, I'm obviously +1 to the idea.   This is very similar to the discussion we had back in July [1] about moving the WS-Notification stuff from
> ServiceMix into CXF.  Obviously no work has been done toward that (yet), but I still support the idea of being able to have "out of the box" some of these enterprise level services that can make
> using CXF in more complex environments easier and more approachable.

Absolutely - even JAX-RS security extensions will somehow depend on STS
so good to have it in

>> I would also like to ask for opinions on where it should go in the
>> source - a new services module, or perhaps a subproject?
>
> I personally prefer creating a new "services/sts" directory in cxf/trunk to house this.   One problem with subprojects is they seem to attract their little sub-communities and they end up really
> being separate from the main community.   They can languish based on old versions (like our current DOSGi issue), not release often enough, etc...   I'd just prefer to keep it in trunk so it's
> built and tested with the entirety of CXF.   At least for now.   That's my opinion.

+1.

Sergey

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
I'd love to have this in trunk.

+1 on in trunk,
+1 on this being available - it is one of the core questions asked in enterprise setups.

+1 also for making this very very very modular.

/je

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
On 2011-9-16, at 上午1:07, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> On Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:27:06 PM Colm O hEigeartaigh wrote:
>> In my opinion, this implementation will greatly enhance CXF's
>> security
>> story and will help to drive new users to the product. I would like
>> ask the CXF community for their opinion on this contribution
>> (+1/-1?).
>

> As someone who's been trying to push for this in Talend, I'm
> obviously +1 to the idea.   This is very similar to the discussion
> we had back in July [1] about moving the WS-Notification stuff from
> ServiceMix into CXF.  Obviously no work has been done toward that
> (yet), but I still support the idea of being able to have "out of
> the box" some of these enterprise level services that can make
> using CXF in more complex environments easier and more approachable.
>
>> I would also like to ask for opinions on where it should go in the
>> source - a new services module, or perhaps a subproject?
>
> I personally prefer creating a new "services/sts" directory in cxf/
> trunk to house this.   One problem with subprojects is they seem to
> attract their little sub-communities and they end up really
> being separate from the main community.   They can languish based on
> old versions (like our current DOSGi issue), not release often
> enough, etc...   I'd just prefer to keep it in trunk so it's
> built and tested with the entirety of CXF.   At least for now.
> That's my opinion.

+1 to be a new module in trunk

Freeman

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.