Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2006/09/14 00:49:25 UTC

[RTC] Split connector + transaction manager out of j2ee-server, and related stuff

Thinking about how we might support plugging in a jta11 transaction
manager I remembered that one part of the little-g work we never did
was to split the connector and transaction stuff out from the core
j2ee stuff.    I made this work in the patches to the above issue.
Basically this involves a major cleanup of dependencies between cars
and geronimo jars, fixing a big bug in the AppClientModuleBuilder
where it was using the wrong classloader to deploy client side rars,
and a small amount of actually moving gbeans into new
configurations.  Here's a summary:

j2ee-server:

all the tm GBeans  and ConnectionTrackingCoordinatorGBean are moved
to the new transaction module (configuration)

client:
similar beans in the client are moved to client-transaction module

j2ee-builder:

connector-builder, resource-ref and resource-env-ref builder gbeans
are moved to the new connector-deployer module.  This includes the
newly introduced 2nd connector-builder gbean for the app client.

There are also a bunch of default environment changes so apps get the
correct parents at runtime.

About 95% of the changes are bug fixes..... I still think I need at
least support for the idea of this split with some pmc votes.

Many thanks!
david jencks

Re: [RTC] Split connector + transaction manager out of j2ee-server, and related stuff

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
+1 it's good direction to drive towards!

On 9/13/06, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thinking about how we might support plugging in a jta11 transaction
> manager I remembered that one part of the little-g work we never did
> was to split the connector and transaction stuff out from the core
> j2ee stuff.    I made this work in the patches to the above issue.
> Basically this involves a major cleanup of dependencies between cars
> and geronimo jars, fixing a big bug in the AppClientModuleBuilder
> where it was using the wrong classloader to deploy client side rars,
> and a small amount of actually moving gbeans into new
> configurations.  Here's a summary:
>
> j2ee-server:
>
> all the tm GBeans  and ConnectionTrackingCoordinatorGBean are moved
> to the new transaction module (configuration)
>
> client:
> similar beans in the client are moved to client-transaction module
>
> j2ee-builder:
>
> connector-builder, resource-ref and resource-env-ref builder gbeans
> are moved to the new connector-deployer module.  This includes the
> newly introduced 2nd connector-builder gbean for the app client.
>
> There are also a bunch of default environment changes so apps get the
> correct parents at runtime.
>
> About 95% of the changes are bug fixes..... I still think I need at
> least support for the idea of this split with some pmc votes.
>
> Many thanks!
> david jencks

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: [RTC] Split connector + transaction manager out of j2ee-server, and related stuff

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
I definitely agree with the direction and the fixing of the
inappropriate dependencies.   I'll apply the patch later tonight and
give it a try.

Thanks David!

Joe

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
I like the direction but I haven't tried the patches.

Thanks,
     Aaron