Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Gautam K <gk...@gmail.com> on 2020/07/02 14:19:08 UTC

Questions about Solr Search

Dear Team,

Hope you all are doing well.

Can you please help with the following question? We are using Solr search
in our Organisation and now checking whether Solr provides search
capabilities like Google Enterprise search(Google Knowledge Graph Search).

1, Does Solr Search provide Voice Search like Google?
2. Does Solar Search provide NLP Search(Natural Language Processing)?
3. Does Solr have all the capabilities which Google Knowledge Graph
provides like below?

   - Getting a ranked list of the most notable entities that match certain
   criteria.
   - Predictively completing entities in a search box.
   - Annotating/organizing content using the Knowledge Graph entities.

*Your help will be appreciated highly.*

Many thanks
Gautam Kanaujia
India

Re: Questions about Solr Search

Posted by Doug Turnbull <dt...@opensourceconnections.com>.
I think it's better to think of Solr as a piece of infrastructure or
component for you to build these things, rather than a product that has a
lot of capabilities for some specific use case.

So you can find 'lego pieces' to build some of these things, but with Solr
you need to build these things yourself. You're trading off targeted
feature you'll find in a search product vs depth of configurability and
pluggability in open source search. With Solr you should expect a big
engineering investment and getting to know the internals to use it most
effectively.

On topics 2 & 3, you might be interested in AI Powered Search which has a
strong NLP component http://aipoweredsearch.com

-Doug

--
*Doug Turnbull **| CTO* | OpenSource Connections
<http://opensourceconnections.com>, LLC | 240.476.9983
Author: Relevant Search <http://manning.com/turnbull>; Contributor: *AI
Powered Search <http://aipoweredsearch.com>*
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be
Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless
of whether attachments are marked as such.

Re: ***URGENT***Re: Questions about Solr Search

Posted by Dave <ha...@gmail.com>.
Seriously. Doug answered all of your questions.

Posted by Dave <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@apache.org>.
Please do not cross post. I believe your questions were already answered?

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 3:08 PM Gautam K <gk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since it's a bit of an urgent request so if could please help me on this by today it will be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Gautam Kanaujia
>
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 7:49 PM Gautam K <gk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Team,
>>
>> Hope you all are doing well.
>>
>> Can you please help with the following question? We are using Solr search in our Organisation and now checking whether Solr provides search capabilities like Google Enterprise search(Google Knowledge Graph Search).
>>
>> 1, Does Solr Search provide Voice Search like Google?
>> 2. Does Solar Search provide NLP Search(Natural Language Processing)?
>> 3. Does Solr have all the capabilities which Google Knowledge Graph provides like below?
>>
>> Getting a ranked list of the most notable entities that match certain criteria.
>> Predictively completing entities in a search box.
>> Annotating/organizing content using the Knowledge Graph entities.
>>

>> Your help will be appreciated highly.
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Gautam Kanaujia
>> India

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: ***URGENT***Re: Questions about Solr Search

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@apache.org>.
Please do not cross post. I believe your questions were already answered?

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 3:08 PM Gautam K <gk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since it's a bit of an urgent request so if could please help me on this by today it will be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Gautam Kanaujia
>
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 7:49 PM Gautam K <gk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Team,
>>
>> Hope you all are doing well.
>>
>> Can you please help with the following question? We are using Solr search in our Organisation and now checking whether Solr provides search capabilities like Google Enterprise search(Google Knowledge Graph Search).
>>
>> 1, Does Solr Search provide Voice Search like Google?
>> 2. Does Solar Search provide NLP Search(Natural Language Processing)?
>> 3. Does Solr have all the capabilities which Google Knowledge Graph provides like below?
>>
>> Getting a ranked list of the most notable entities that match certain criteria.
>> Predictively completing entities in a search box.
>> Annotating/organizing content using the Knowledge Graph entities.
>>

>> Your help will be appreciated highly.
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Gautam Kanaujia
>> India

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: ***URGENT***Re: Questions about Solr Search

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@apache.org>.
Please do not cross post. I believe your questions were already answered?

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 3:08 PM Gautam K <gk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since it's a bit of an urgent request so if could please help me on this by today it will be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Gautam Kanaujia
>
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 7:49 PM Gautam K <gk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Team,
>>
>> Hope you all are doing well.
>>
>> Can you please help with the following question? We are using Solr search in our Organisation and now checking whether Solr provides search capabilities like Google Enterprise search(Google Knowledge Graph Search).
>>
>> 1, Does Solr Search provide Voice Search like Google?
>> 2. Does Solar Search provide NLP Search(Natural Language Processing)?
>> 3. Does Solr have all the capabilities which Google Knowledge Graph provides like below?
>>
>> Getting a ranked list of the most notable entities that match certain criteria.
>> Predictively completing entities in a search box.
>> Annotating/organizing content using the Knowledge Graph entities.
>>

>> Your help will be appreciated highly.
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Gautam Kanaujia
>> India

Atri
Apache Concerted

***URGENT***Re: Questions about Solr Search

Posted by Gautam K <gk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gautam K <gk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Doug Turnbull <dt...@opensourceconnections.com>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Hi Gautam

Please find my answers inline below

Am 02.07.20 um 16:19 schrieb Gautam K:
> Dear Team,
>
> Hope you all are doing well.
>
> Can you please help with the following question? We are using Solr
> search in our Organisation and now checking whether Solr provides
> search capabilities like Google Enterprise search(Google Knowledge
> Graph Search).
>
> 1, Does Solr Search provide Voice Search like Google?

I don't know whether Solr offers Voice Search out of the box, but
generally Solr does not have to, because what you can always do is using
some Speech2Text component and then feed the text into Solr.

AFAIK Android and iOS provide Speech2Text, see for example

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/speech/sfspeechrecognizer

Also see

https://voice.mozilla.org/en/about

> 2. Does Solar Search provide NLP Search(Natural Language Processing)?

You mean like recognizing intents? Or what exactly do you mean with NLP
Search?

> 3. Does Solr have all the capabilities which Google Knowledge Graph
> provides like below?
>
>       * Getting a ranked list of the most notable entities that match
>         certain criteria.
>       * Predictively completing entities in a search box.

You mean like BERT or GPT-3 (https://openai.com/blog/openai-api/)?

All the best

Michael

Posted by Nicolas Franck <Ni...@UGent.be>.
Short answer: no

Neither Solr nor ElasticSearch have such capabilities out of the box.

Solr does have a plugin infrastructure that enables you to provide
better tokenization based on language rules, and some are better
than others.

I saw for example integration of openNLP here: https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_3/language-analysis.html
but that requires additional data to provide language rules,
but not a lot of languages have been tackled (http://opennlp.sourceforge.net/models-1.5/).

There are of course more general solutions like provided
in the first link, but the tokenization are a bit "rough" and aggressive (that is why it is so fast),
delivering tokens that do not exist (debugging shows you that).

Anyway: do not overdo it. There is no way
you can beat large sized company like Google.
Language support is more than a set of rules to apply.

More important is this: make sure Google can decently index
your webpages. More than 90% of your users reach your website through Google,
so do not invest too much into this.