Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Peter Smith <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2001/04/04 15:44:11 UTC

3 'Intro' questions on struts and list

Hello all,

1. Is there an estimated/expected date for final
release 1.0 of Struts?  Don't know if my boss will be
ok with beta software in production.

2. Can I find archives for this list somewhere?

3. I'm especially interested in anyone who's compared
Struts / JSP with other options such as Turbine /
Velocity.  I've read one document doing a comparison
on the Velocity site, but want more points of view.  I
get to decide our company's web-building
infrastructure.

Cheers.

--Peter--

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: 3 'Intro' questions on struts and list

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Peter Smith wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> 1. Is there an estimated/expected date for final
> release 1.0 of Struts?

Count on a final 1.0 release prior to JavaOne this year.

>  Don't know if my boss will be
> ok with beta software in production.

In practical terms, the quality difference between a beta release and a
final release in many/most open source projects is not substantial.

> 2. Can I find archives for this list somewhere?
>
> 3. I'm especially interested in anyone who's compared
> Struts / JSP with other options such as Turbine /
> Velocity.  I've read one document doing a comparison
> on the Velocity site, but want more points of view.  I
> get to decide our company's web-building
> infrastructure.

The best thing to do is try the alternatives for yourself, on a
modest-sized prototype that is typical of your actual requirements.  None
of the examples you will read about really cover all the strengths (or the
weaknesses) of any particular infrastructure approach -- including the
trivially simple examples in my ApacheCon presentation about Struts, and
the equally trivially simple examples in documents such as "You Make The
Decision" that you will find elsewhere.

> Cheers.
>
> --Peter--

Craig