Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Christopher H. Laco" <cl...@chrislaco.com> on 2005/03/08 22:57:30 UTC

TortoiseSVN, Apache2, and SVN on Windows: PROPFIND 405 errors

This went about 95% on easy then I hit a brick wall.
I just installed Apache 2.0.53, SVN (1.1.3 setup.exe), and TortoiseSVN
1.1.3.

I setup apache httpd.conf with:

> LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so
> LoadModule dav_svn_module modules/mod_dav_svn.so
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>     ServerAdmin		claco@localhost
>     DocumentRoot	"C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs"
>     ErrorLog		"C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/error.log"
>
> 	<Location /repos>
> 	  DAV			svn
> 	  SVNPath		"C:/Development/SVN"
> 	</Location>
> </VirtualHost>

I did an svnadmin and created my repository in C:\Development\SVN.
I fired up apache and everything appears to work fine.

Using Firefox, http://localhost/repos works like a champ. I can browse
till my hearts content.

When I use the Repo-Browser in TSVN and go to http://localhost/repos, I get:

> Error * PROPFIND request failed on /repos' PROPFIND of '/repos': 405 Method Not Allowed (http://localhost)

I know TSVN works just fine on other http:// repositories.
I have tried setting the apache server to run as the local user apache,
and gave the new apache user full rights to C:\Development\SVN.

My repos format is: fsfs,   not BDB.

If I go hardcore and run svnserve, everything works fine in TSVN too.

Still no luck. Anyone got this working?

-=Chris

Re: TortoiseSVN, Apache2, and SVN on Windows: PROPFIND 405 errors

Posted by "Christopher H. Laco" <cl...@chrislaco.com>.
John Szakmeister wrote:
>>><VirtualHost *:80>
>>>    ServerAdmin		claco@localhost
>>>    DocumentRoot	"C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs"
>>>    ErrorLog		"C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/error.log"
>>>
>>>	<Location /repos>
>>>	  DAV			svn
>>>	  SVNPath		"C:/Development/SVN"
>

> Is SVNPath pointing to an actual repository, or is it pointing to a
> directory containing several repositories?  If it's the latter, then you
> want to change 'SVNPath' to 'SVNParentPath'.

C:\Development\SVN is the repository root.

> Check Apache's error logs.  You'll find more information about the error
> there.

And there is the other shoe: The access.log and error.log show nothing.
I haven't yet cranked the loggin up to debug thought.

I'll try that this evening once I get all of this installed on my laptop
(to see if I can do the wrong thing twice) :-)

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
On Tuesday 08 March 2005 17:57, Christopher H. Laco wrote:
> This went about 95% on easy then I hit a brick wall.
> I just installed Apache 2.0.53, SVN (1.1.3 setup.exe), and TortoiseSVN
> 1.1.3.
>
> I setup apache httpd.conf with:
> > LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so
> > LoadModule dav_svn_module modules/mod_dav_svn.so

> > <VirtualHost *:80>
> >     ServerAdmin		claco@localhost
> >     DocumentRoot	"C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs"
> >     ErrorLog		"C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/error.log"
> >
> > 	<Location /repos>
> > 	  DAV			svn
> > 	  SVNPath		"C:/Development/SVN"

Is SVNPath pointing to an actual repository, or is it pointing to a
directory containing several repositories?  If it's the latter, then you
want to change 'SVNPath' to 'SVNParentPath'.

> > 	</Location>
> > </VirtualHost>
>
> I did an svnadmin and created my repository in C:\Development\SVN.
> I fired up apache and everything appears to work fine.
>
> Using Firefox, http://localhost/repos works like a champ. I can browse
> till my hearts content.
>
> When I use the Repo-Browser in TSVN and go to http://localhost/repos, I
get:
> > Error * PROPFIND request failed on /repos' PROPFIND of '/repos': 405
> > Method Not Allowed (http://localhost)
>
> I know TSVN works just fine on other http:// repositories.
> I have tried setting the apache server to run as the local user apache,
> and gave the new apache user full rights to C:\Development\SVN.
>
> My repos format is: fsfs,   not BDB.
>
> If I go hardcore and run svnserve, everything works fine in TSVN too.
>
> Still no luck. Anyone got this working?

Check Apache's error logs.  You'll find more information about the error
there.

-John

Re: TortoiseSVN, Apache2, and SVN on Windows: PROPFIND 405 errors

Posted by "Christopher H. Laco" <cl...@chrislaco.com>.
Christopher H. Laco wrote:

I figured this one out, but I'm still a little mystified.
I had TSVN 1.1.2 installed previously. When I started this tinker
session, I upgraded to 1.1.3.

The last time I tinkered with TSVN a couple of weeks ago, I had the
proxy set. One of the first things I did after the upgraded was to
uncheck the proxy box in TSVN. Apparently that didn't take.

Even with the box unchecked it was a no go. just for giggles I
uninstalled TSVN, and deleted the config stuff from my profile
directory, and reinstalled, everything works happy dappy.

Go figure. It's always something simple.

Thanks,

Posted by "Christopher H. Laco" <cl...@chrislaco.com>.
Hey, while I'm at it on this topic...

Subversion 1.1.3 install comes with  iconv stuff, and libapr stuff...
TortoiseSVN comes with iconv stuff, svn stuff, and libapr stuff...
Apache2 comes with iconv stuff, and libapr  stuff....

Is there any reason to prefer one set of so/dlls over another?

When I move the mod_dav_svn stuff into the apache modules directory, I
have to copy at least some of the other dlls into there. I'm wondering
how much of it should go from Subversion -> Apache, and how much should not.

-=Chris