Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@apache.org> on 2019/07/22 18:05:49 UTC

[DISCUSS] Prefer Github PR Integration over patch in JIRA

Historically, Hadoop developers create patches and attache them to JIRA,
andthen the Yetus bot runs precommit against the patch in the JIRA.

The Github PR is more convenient for code review and less hassle for
committers to merge a commit. I am proposing for the community to prefer
Github PR over the traditional patch-in-jira. This doesn't mean we will
reject the traditional way, but we can move gradually to the new way.
Additionally, update the Hadoop "How to contribute" wiki, and advertise
that Github PR is the preferred method.

Thoughts?

Re: [DISCUSS] Prefer Github PR Integration over patch in JIRA

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
a word of caution. according to INFRA-18748, asf infra is going to be
cutting out blind PR building. So we'll need to be sure that precommit
integration works e.g. testing PRs because there's a JIRA that a
whitelisted contributor has associated and put in patch available
status.

--
busbey

Re: [DISCUSS] Prefer Github PR Integration over patch in JIRA

Posted by Xiaoqiao He <he...@apache.org>.
Thanks Wei-Chiu for starting this discussion.
+1 (non-binding) for turning code review to GitHub PR and keep other
comments/discussions on JIRA.

1. In my experience, JIRA is better at tracking and recording information.
2. It is confused that no guide (`How to contribute`) about submit PR to
JIRA or GitHub, so there are a few patches and review comments active at
both side. In my opinion it is necessary to unify them.

Thanks,
He Xiaoqiao

Posted by Xiaoqiao He <he...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xiaoqiao He <he...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xiaoqiao He <he...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gabor Bota <ga...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Gabor Bota <ga...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Gabor Bota <ga...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Gabor Bota <ga...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Eric Badger <eb...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.
Where would JIRA fit into the PR workflow? Would we file JIRAs just to
track github PRs and have all of the discussion on the PR?

Eric

Posted by Eric Badger <eb...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Eric Badger <eb...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Eric Badger <eb...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Dinesh Chitlangia <dc...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Dinesh Chitlangia <dc...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Dinesh Chitlangia <dc...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

--
busbey

Re: [DISCUSS] Prefer Github PR Integration over patch in JIRA

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

--
busbey

Re: [DISCUSS] Prefer Github PR Integration over patch in JIRA

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

--
busbey