Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by simonyhh1986 <si...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/25 08:39:02 UTC

Stress testing of an email system.

Hi, list
We're planning to perform a stress test on our email system, but our team don't have this kind of experience. Can anyone share some of your own experience with us?
We use postfix as the email gateway, Apache James as the email server. And the system is supposed to support up to 1 000 000 users and there could be 100 000 active users.

BTW, I added some features to James in order to limit the local users' send-mail frequency. I add a custom matcher, and it accesses the database when processing every single email that goes through James, it throws out exceptions about the connections pool when the throughout goes up. Here's the question, what should I do to improve this?

Thx!
Simon

Re: Stress testing of an email system.

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
On 25/02/12 08:39, simonyhh1986 wrote:
> Hi, list
> We're planning to perform a stress test on our email system, but our team don't have this kind of experience. Can anyone share some of your own experience with us?
> We use postfix as the email gateway, Apache James as the email server. And the system is supposed to support up to 1 000 000 users and there could be 100 000 active users.

http://james.apache.org/server/3/feature-performance.html shows a simple
smtp-source command.

I also use jmeter (to send/read mails) and display graphs.

> BTW, I added some features to James in order to limit the local users' send-mail frequency. I add a custom matcher, and it accesses the database when processing every single email that goes through James, it throws out exceptions about the connections pool when the throughout goes up. Here's the question, what should I do to improve this?

It depends what you want to do?

Instead of throwing an exception, you could set a mail header, and
redirect to a bounce processor based on that header. You will have to
take care of bounce loops (see
http://james.apache.org/mailet/standard/mailet-report.html#ClamAVScan
(antivirus) for an example.
If you don't want to inform the enduser, you could simply redirect to
the Null mailet
(http://james.apache.org/mailet/standard/mailet-report.html#Null).