Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by di...@multitask.com.au on 2003/02/02 07:24:50 UTC

[beanutils] 1.6 release breaks Maven and Jelly

I've been attempting to get Maven up to the bean utils 1.6 over the last
day or so, and have a problem that seems to have happened between the
1.6-dev snapshot we took on 28-11-2002 and the release that has the
following symptoms:

It appears that a converter (or beanutils, I can't tell which yet), which
previously 'correctly' set a property of type java.lang.Object from an
instance of java.io.File, now converts the File to a String and then sets
the Object property.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Any ideas on a workaround?
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Re: [beanutils] 1.6 release breaks Maven and Jelly

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
"Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> wrote on 03/02/2003 09:55:45
AM:
> OK, it looks like the real problem is in
> o.a.c.beanutils.ConvertingWrapDynaBean -- which is using
> BeanUtils.setProperty() to perform the copy+conversion.
>
> Unfortunately, setProperty() is specifically designed to deal with
> String->Object conversions, because it was originally there to support
> parsing bean settings out of HTTP request parameters for
> BeanUtils.populate().  As the JavaDocs say, this is probably not the
> method you normally want to use.
>
> However, BeanUtils.copyProperty() is designed to perform general
> object->object conversions via ConvertUtils, and that sounds like what
you
> really want.

Yep.

> I just checked in a change to this -- could you try with CVS HEAD of
> beanutils, or wait for tonight's nightly?  If that fixes the problem, we
> can probably do a 1.6.1 bugfix release (once I add some unit tests for
> this class).
I'll check it out of cvs asap and get back to you.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 19:32:42 +1100
> From: dion@multitask.com.au
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [beanutils] 1.6 release breaks Maven and Jelly
>
> Hi Craig,
>
> thanks for the help,
>
> "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> wrote on 02/02/2003 06:19:28
> PM:
>
> > > I've been attempting to get Maven up to the bean utils 1.6 over the
> last
> > > day or so, and have a problem that seems to have happened between the
> > > 1.6-dev snapshot we took on 28-11-2002 and the release that has the
> > > following symptoms:
> > >
> > > It appears that a converter (or beanutils, I can't tell which yet),
> which
> > > previously 'correctly' set a property of type java.lang.Object from an
> > > instance of java.io.File, now converts the File to a String and then
> sets
> > > the Object property.
> > >
> > > Does this sound familiar to anyone?
> > >

> > There have been quite a large number of changes to beanutils since
> > November 28, but the case you are describing sounds like it might
> > *possibly* be a case of using the incorrect method of BeanUtils to
> perform
> > conversions for you.
> >
> > Could you quote a snippet of the Maven code that seems to be doing the
> > wrong conversion, or point me at it, so I can help you resolve this?
>
> Yep,
>
> it's in
> jakarta-commons-sandbox/jelly/src/java/org/apache/commons/jelly/impl/TagScript.java
> line 275.

OK, it looks like the real problem is in
o.a.c.beanutils.ConvertingWrapDynaBean -- which is using
BeanUtils.setProperty() to perform the copy+conversion.

Unfortunately, setProperty() is specifically designed to deal with
String->Object conversions, because it was originally there to support
parsing bean settings out of HTTP request parameters for
BeanUtils.populate().  As the JavaDocs say, this is probably not the
method you normally want to use.

However, BeanUtils.copyProperty() is designed to perform general
object->object conversions via ConvertUtils, and that sounds like what you
really want.

I just checked in a change to this -- could you try with CVS HEAD of
beanutils, or wait for tonight's nightly?  If that fixes the problem, we
can probably do a 1.6.1 bugfix release (once I add some unit tests for
this class).

> > > Any ideas on a workaround?
> --
> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting