Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2007/04/17 09:37:45 UTC

[FREEZE-ANNOUNCEMENT] 1.4 Release Candidate 1

Hi Lenya devs,

since the vote has passed, the next step will be a code freeze
on the trunk.

It will start in 7 days:

  Tue, April 24, 10:00 AM CEST

For more info, see
http://lenya.apache.org/docs/release.html

-- Andreas

[FREEZE-REMINDER] 1.4 Release Candidate 1

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> since the vote has passed, the next step will be a code freeze
> on the trunk.
>
> It will start in 7 days:
>
>   Tue, April 24, 10:00 AM CEST

Just a heads-up - if you have pending changes, please commit them
until tomorrow.

Thanks a lot,

-- Andreas

Re: [FREEZE-ANNOUNCEMENT] 1.4 Release Candidate 1

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.
On 4/20/07, Joern Nettingsmeier <ne...@folkwang-hochschule.de> wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 09:37 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> >> Hi Lenya devs,
> >>

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I started to test the trunk and found out that the BXE editor did not
> > start correctly when I first tried to edit a page. I then requested the
> > edit again and it worked.
> >
> > Is this a known issue?
>
> i think i've seen that too...
>

> --
> jörn nettingsmeier
>
> home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/
> http://spunk.dnsalias.org
> phone://+49/201/491621
>
> Kurt is up in Heaven now.

FWIW, there are currently 177 open bugs targeted against the 1.4 milestone:

-- Bug Counts by Priority --
P1 -    5
P2 - 114
P3 -   52
P4 -    2
P5 -    4

-- Bug Counts by Severity --
Blocker -           1
Critical -            2
Regression -      1
Major -              9
Normal -          90
Minor -              5
Trivial -              0
Enhancement - 69

(I assume many of these will have be re-targeted to the 1.4.1
milestone, although one might think that at least the Blocker,
Critical and Major bugs should all be fixed rather than postponed.)

Re: [FREEZE-ANNOUNCEMENT] 1.4 Release Candidate 1

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Joern Nettingsmeier schrieb:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>> On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 09:37 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>>> Hi Lenya devs,
>>>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I started to test the trunk and found out that the BXE editor did not
>> start correctly when I first tried to edit a page. I then requested the
>> edit again and it worked.
>>
>> Is this a known issue?
>
> i think i've seen that too...

Me too, but it didn't happen for quite some time now.
Do we have a bug entry for this issue?

Posted by Joern Nettingsmeier <ne...@folkwang-hochschule.de>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 09:37 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> Hi Lenya devs,
>>

> Hi all,
>
> I started to test the trunk and found out that the BXE editor did not
> start correctly when I first tried to edit a page. I then requested the
> edit again and it worked.
>
> Is this a known issue?

i think i've seen that too...

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 09:37 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Lenya devs,

Hi all,

I started to test the trunk and found out that the BXE editor did not
start correctly when I first tried to edit a page. I then requested the
edit again and it worked.

Is this a known issue?

salu2

Re: [FREEZE-ANNOUNCEMENT] 1.4 Release Candidate 1

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:

> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Michael Wechner schrieb:
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> agreed, sounds reasonable. But maybe one should extend this guideline
>>> that from the announcment of the freeze
>>> until the actual the freeze one uses RTC rule for pending changes.
>>

>> I see your point, but maybe the timespan of 7 days is a bit short
>> for RTC ...
>>
>> What do the others think?
>

> i don't think lenya suffers from lack of governance (although
> certainly there have been commits that i disagreed with in the past).
> it lacks manpower. let's spend the time debugging, and after the dust
> of 1.4.0 has settled, look back and adjust our procedures if necessary.

the dust didn't settle for the last two years ;-)

Cheers

Michael

--
Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: [FREEZE-ANNOUNCEMENT] 1.4 Release Candidate 1

Posted by Joern Nettingsmeier <ne...@folkwang-hochschule.de>.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

[...]

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

>Michael Wechner schrieb:
>

>>Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>>

>>>Hi Lenya devs,
>>>
>>>since the vote has passed, the next step will be a code freeze
>>>on the trunk.
>>>
>>>It will start in 7 days:
>>>
>>> Tue, April 24, 10:00 AM CEST
>>>

>>why not today? What if devs add more code until April 24 which will
>>cause other problems?
>>

>Our release management guide says that the freeze has to be announced
>7 days ahead: http://lenya.apache.org/docs/release.html
>
>I guess that's because some developers might have pending changes
>and shall be given sufficient time to commit them.
>
>The tests will be done against the freezed version, so the freeze
>can be cancelled if problems occur. IMO this makes sense.

agreed, sounds reasonable. But maybe one should extend this guideline
that from the announcment of the freeze
until the actual the freeze one uses RTC rule for pending changes.

Cheers

Michael

>-- Andreas

Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: [FREEZE-ANNOUNCEMENT] 1.4 Release Candidate 1

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Re: AW: [FREEZE-ANNOUNCEMENT] 1.4 Release Candidate 1

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Donat Grimm schrieb:
> Good point!
>
> This would only make sense if there is a common understanding of what will
> be add within the next 7 days (kind of roadmap). Only in that case we would
> freeze a thing that we know...

We can't, it is the other way round - we will test what we freezed,
so we have "a thing that we know" after the freeze.

> The way you suggest it, we don’t know what we agree on today to be freezed
> within 7 days...

We don't agree on something today, we agree on something when we tested
the freezed version.

-- Andreas

> Cheers
> Donat

Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: [FREEZE-ANNOUNCEMENT] 1.4 Release Candidate 1

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

>Hi Lenya devs,
>
>since the vote has passed, the next step will be a code freeze
>on the trunk.
>
>It will start in 7 days:
>
>  Tue, April 24, 10:00 AM CEST

why not today? What if devs add more code until April 24 which will
cause other problems?

Cheers

Michael

>For more info, see