Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/23 22:00:39 UTC

Suppress multiple execution of mojos while creating site?

Hello,

as I wrote before, a lot of the reporting mojos invoke a lifecycle
phase before executing. Take a look at:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin/javadoc-mojo.html
This will invoke generate-sources before executing itself. Now I think
a common use case for maven (at least my preferred in Jenkins) is to
execute:

mvn clean deploy site site-deploy

Now deploy has AFAIK already generated all necessary source files,
nonetheless javadoc:javadoc will start this cycle again. This BTW even
may lead to a complete compile run again, which slows down site
generation. javadoc:test-javadoc will start this game again (as does
surefire-report:report-only).

I a small sample project I see these numbers (enforcer and
buildnumber-maven-plugin are executed six times on mvn verify site!):

[mirko@borg foss-parent]$ grep '\[INFO\] --- '
target/it/check-site-jacoco/build.log | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr
   6 [INFO] --- maven-enforcer-plugin:1.2:enforce (default-enforce) @
sample-project-jacoco ---
   6 [INFO] --- buildnumber-maven-plugin:1.2:create
(foss-parent-create) @ sample-project-jacoco ---
   4 [INFO] --- jacoco-maven-plugin:0.6.2.201302030002:prepare-agent
(default-prepare-agent) @ sample-project-jacoco ---
   3 [INFO] --- maven-resources-plugin:2.6:resources
(default-resources) @ sample-project-jacoco ---
   3 [INFO] --- maven-compiler-plugin:3.0:compile (default-compile) @
sample-project-jacoco ---
   1 [INFO] --- velocity-maven-plugin:0.3.0:velocity
(default-velocity) @ sample-project-jacoco ---
   1 [INFO] --- maven-surefire-plugin:2.13:test (default-test) @
sample-project-jacoco ---
   1 [INFO] --- maven-source-plugin:2.2.1:test-jar-no-fork
(default-test-jar-no-fork) @ sample-project-jacoco ---
   1 [INFO] --- maven-source-plugin:2.2.1:jar-no-fork
(default-jar-no-fork) @ sample-project-jacoco ---
   1 [INFO] --- maven-site-plugin:3.2:site (default-site) @
sample-project-jacoco ---
   1 [INFO] --- maven-site-plugin:3.2:attach-descriptor
(default-attach-descriptor) @ sample-project-jacoco ---
   1 [INFO] --- maven-resources-plugin:2.6:testResources
(default-testResources) @ sample-project-jacoco ---
   1 [INFO] --- maven-javadoc-plugin:2.9:jar (default-jar) @
sample-project-jacoco ---
   1 [INFO] --- maven-jar-plugin:2.4:jar (default-jar) @
sample-project-jacoco ---
   1 [INFO] --- maven-failsafe-plugin:2.13:verify (default-verify) @
sample-project-jacoco ---
   1 [INFO] --- maven-failsafe-plugin:2.13:integration-test
(default-integration-test) @ sample-project-jacoco ---
   1 [INFO] --- maven-dependency-plugin:2.6:analyze-only
(default-analyze-only) @ sample-project-jacoco ---
   1 [INFO] --- maven-compiler-plugin:3.0:testCompile
(default-testCompile) @ sample-project-jacoco ---
   1 [INFO] --- jacoco-maven-plugin:0.6.2.201302030002:report
(default-report) @ sample-project-jacoco ---

Any tips how to avoid this?

Regards Mirko
--
http://illegalstateexception.blogspot.com/
https://github.com/mfriedenhagen/

Re: Suppress multiple execution of mojos while creating site?

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.
Hello Martin,

of course I could redefine some plugins to be run in a different phase,
enforcer could run during verify etc. However some (as buildnumber-version)
are mostly useful for filtering resources, so delaying this to later phases
makes no sense IMO :-).

Regards Mirko

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 12:57 AM, Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> off the top of my head
> how about declaring your plugin to bind to another phase ?
>
> the second option is to
> create custom lifecycle
> https://community.jboss.org/wiki/CreatingACustomLifecycleInMaven
> Get your hip boots on ..custom lifecyles are 'unsupported'
>
> Viel Gluck
> Martin

>> From: mfriedenhagen@gmail.com
>> Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 20:53:40 +0100
>> Subject: Re: Suppress multiple execution of mojos while creating site?
>> To: users@maven.apache.org
>>
>> Hello Martin,
>>
>> thanks for your suggestion. However I think I did not make myself
>> clear in my description. My problem is not with generated reports but
>> that during report generation while building the site a bunch of the
>> reporting mojos are starting a "default" lifecycle phase again hereby
>> prolonging the time the site needs to build.
>>
>> Regards Mirko
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
>> > Mirko
>> > one way is to customise maven-clean plugin to exclude target folder
and only include reports
>> > for example we can leave target alone and delete surefire with this
example
>> > <plugin>
>> > <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>> > <artifactId>maven-clean-plugin</artifactId>
>> > <version>2.4.1</version>
>> > <configuration>
>> > <excludeDefaultDirectories>true</excludeDefaultDirectories>
>> > <filesets>
>> > <fileset>
>> > <directory>surefire</directory>
>> > <includes>
>> > <include>**/*</include>
>> > </includes>
>> > <followSymlinks>false</followSymlinks>
>> > </fileset>
>> > </filesets>
>> > </configuration>
>> > </plugin>
>> > HTH,
>> > Martin
>> > Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung/Note de déni et de
confidentialité

>> > Diese Nachricht ist vertraulich. Sollten Sie nicht der vorgesehene
Empfaenger sein, so bitten wir hoeflich um eine Mitteilung. Jede unbefugte
Weiterleitung oder Fertigung einer Kopie ist unzulaessig. Diese Nachricht
dient lediglich dem Austausch von Informationen und entfaltet keine
rechtliche Bindungswirkung. Aufgrund der leichten Manipulierbarkeit von
E-Mails koennen wir keine Haftung fuer den Inhalt uebernehmen.
>> > Ce message est confidentiel et peut être privilégié. Si vous n'êtes
pas le destinataire prévu, nous te demandons avec bonté que pour satisfaire
informez l'expéditeur. N'importe quelle diffusion non autorisée ou la copie
de ceci est interdite. Ce message sert à l'information seulement et n'aura
pas n'importe quel effet légalement obligatoire. Étant donné que les email
peuvent facilement être sujets à la manipulation, nous ne pouvons accepter
aucune responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
off the top of my head

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.
Hello Martin,