Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by James Sirota <js...@hortonworks.com> on 2016/07/08 18:01:17 UTC

[VOTE] Releasing Apache Metron 0.2.0BETA-RC2

This is a call to vote on releasing Apache Metron 0.2.0BETA-RC2 incubating
Full list of changes in this release:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/metron/0.2.0BETA-RC2-incubating/CHANGES

The tag/commit to be voted upon is Metron_0.2.0BETA_rc2:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-metron.git;a=commit;h=5fb4dda0e385ba030455db4c7d1290f872b688ce

The source archive being voted upon can be found here:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/metron/0.2.0BETA-RC2-incubating/apache-metron-0.2.0BETA-RC2-incubating.tar.gz

Other release files, signatures and digests can be found here:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/metron/0.2.0BETA-RC2-incubating

The release artifacts are signed with the following key:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-metron.git;a=blob_plain;f=KEYS;hb=refs/tags/Metron_0.2.0BETA_rc2

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Metron 0.2.0BETA-RC2 incubating

When voting, please list the actions taken to verify the release.
Recommended build validation and verification instructions are posted here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/METRON/Verifying+Builds

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Metron 0.2.0BETA-RC2 incubating
[ ] 0 No opinion

-------------------
Thank you,

James Sirota
PPMC- Apache Metron (Incubating)
jsirota AT apache DOT org

Re: [VOTE] Releasing Apache Metron 0.2.0BETA-RC2

Posted by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com>.
Ok, fair points.  The discussion was within the project's mailing list here
<https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-metron-dev/201603.mbox/%3CCAPpQHK1+n9y3VJNHnR2rHpK4fyqQm3p=do3m6LuWf+0Z=4CnpA@mail.gmail.com%3E>
rather
than a discussion with legal.  As such, we're going to do the work to
remove that reference data and cut a new release candidate.  Thanks for the
attention again. :)

Best,

Casey

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the careful attention, Justin.

Regarding the sample data for the StixExtractorTest.java, that came from
here
<https://github.com/STIXProject/stixproject.github.io/blob/master/getting-started/sample-walkthrough/IP_Watchlist-1.2.xml>
and
I considered it to be 3-clause BSD licensed due to the underlying project
license here
<https://github.com/STIXProject/stixproject.github.io/blob/master/LICENSE>.
If you think it's clearer, we can pull it into its own file and mention it
in the LICENSE for next release (JIRA here
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/METRON-297>).

Regarding the effective_tld_names.dat, we had this discussion last release
and believe that they are reference data and should be considered
acceptable. We did note them in the LICENSE here
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/blob/master/LICENSE#L205>.  The
rationale around why we think they should be acceptable as per category B
is as follows:

   - It's reference data, so not source code, so I feel that the category B
   wording was trying to make the distinction between source code and non-src
   code (i.e. "binary/object" in their language)
   - It's not source code, so paragraph 3 shouldn't apply, but even so, it
   has not changed since the last release
   - It's currently only supported for a legacy enrichment adapter, but
   will be removed next release as we found a better way of doing things.

Thoughts?

Best,
Casey