Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2006/10/24 13:32:54 UTC

VirtualHosting and VirtualUsersTable (Was: JAMES v2.4 Road Map)

I extracted things related to VHosting from the roadmap thread, and my
only reply is at the end of this message.

Danny Angus wrote:
> I've been very busy for a long time now, but I'm finding more
> opportunities now, and I'm keen to re-start where I left off, which
> was looking at vhosting and a mailet API SDK (which requires some
> small chages to the API as an enabler).
>
>> Ok, so if we let pop3 users to have the "@domain" and we add to the
>> pop3server a configuration for a default domain to be used when no
>> domain is passed would solve both issues, right?
>
> Right.
>
>> Now if we want to bind the pop3server to multiple IPs we have to declare
>> multiple <pop3server> blocks anyway: is this right?
>
> Right.
> All we need to do is to allow the <pop3server> blocks to take the
> repository as a config param. and to let the local delivery mailet do
> the same thing.
>
>> Well, ToMultiRepository try first to retrieve the user inbox via
>> MailServer.getUserInbox method. IIRC it shouldn't be so hard to isolate
>> also this method in the new services we added lately.
>
> Agree.
>
>> I'll try to
>> remember this the next time I'll review the code about this issue.
>
> Thanks
>
>> > Well thats true to some extent. but only if you accept that your
>> > proposal is enough and as far as we'd want to go.
>>
>> I accept this ;-)
>
> :-D :-D.

>> > Problem accessing this just now :-(
>>
>> Now it should work again.
>
> I agree with that. Looks good.
>
>> Even small changes have been vetoed, so I won't
>> loose much more time on big goals if there is a chance to be vetoed at
>> the first step. I can leave this task to someone with more social talent
>> than me with this.
>
> (see above)
> I hope that this is one thing that I *can* contribute ;-) not only do
> I have years of experience of annoying people @apache, but getting
> groups to reach consensus based decisions is also one of the skills I
> use in my day job.

I would ask you one important thing: as you talk english better than me
and you know Noel much more than me try to discuss the vhosting issue
with Noel and let's see if both of you can at least agree on a common
roadmap on this issue. Once you have this we can then see if this
roadmap is acceptable to me and Norman (as we are the one that put their
hands in the code until now on this issue).

I just have too much problems understanding and accepting Noel replies
to all of my message, so if you feel you can contribute on this I would
be happy.

Stefano

Re: VirtualHosting and VirtualUsersTable (Was: JAMES v2.4 Road Map)

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@gmail.com>.
On 10/24/06, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:

> I would ask you one important thing: as you talk english better than me
> and you know Noel much more than me try to discuss the vhosting issue
> with Noel and let's see if both of you can at least agree on a common
> roadmap on this issue. Once you have this we can then see if this
> roadmap is acceptable to me and Norman (as we are the one that put their
> hands in the code until now on this issue).
>
> I just have too much problems understanding and accepting Noel replies
> to all of my message, so if you feel you can contribute on this I would
> be happy.

Sorry, I started *another* thread on this issue. I think I understand
Noel's position, it is similar to mine. No doubt he can disagree with
me if he wants to.

d.