Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Sean Qi <se...@showiz.com> on 2002/11/02 02:22:25 UTC

webdav ACL

Hi, all,

I am trying to use Slide to build a conttent management system.

I plan to use the JDBCRealm for user authentication at the servlet container level.

In the meantime, I want to do the user authorization, such as user A can only read ABC.txt and meanwhile user B can read/write ABC.txt.  I guess the "org.apache.webdav.*" can do the job.

1.  How to use/leveage/integrate the "org.apache.webdav.*" together with the user authentication at the servlet container level?
2.  Would you please give me some pointers where I can have a good/better understanding of how to "org.apache.webdav.*"  packages?

Any input appreciated. Thanx

S.Q

Re: webdav ACL

Posted by Sean Qi <se...@showiz.com>.
Jason and Andreas,

Thanks a lot for your input.  I will definitely look into SlideRealm and I
am
looking at the huge client.java now.

Andreas,

Your latest response to Dovan does answer most of questions I was going to
ask.  You
just saved me time to type in those questions. :-)  Thanx a lot.

Sean Q

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: webdav ACL

Posted by Jason <ja...@xn.com.au>.

Re: webdav ACL

Posted by Andreas Probst <an...@gmx.net>.
Dovan,

don't forget to tell your servlet container about the users, not
only Slide. If you're using Tomcat with tomcat-users.xml, add
lines with users root and john and so on.

If you're using SlideRealm, this isn't necessary - you just have
to define users in Slide. But I don't know anything about
SlideRealm.

Andreas

Re: webdav ACL

Posted by Andreas Probst <an...@gmx.net>.
Dovan,

I haven't seen such a configuration possibility. Webdav-Clients
like MS-Office lock the files as long as they are open. If you
write your own client, you can tell Slide via client method to
lock a long time.

Andreas

Re: webdav ACL

Posted by dovan nguyen <do...@yahoo.com>.
Andreas,

> [...]

> > I used the Slide client as anonymous user and send
> > LOCK on a file.... which only gets locked for 120
> > second...
> >
> > Could you please tell me why ?  and how to
> configure
> > Slide to lock indefinitely until the owner unlock
> it ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dovan
> >
> > --- Andreas Probst <an...@gmx.net> wrote:
> > > Dovan,
> > >
> > > with / I mean the root of the Slide tree, i.e.:
> > >
> > > <objectnode
> > >
> classname="org.apache.slide.structure.SubjectNode"
> > > uri="/">
> > >
> > > Below this start tag put maybe
> > >
> > > <permission action="/actions"
> subject="/users/guest"
> > >
> > > inheritable="true" negative="false"/>
> > >
> > > or maybe
> > >
> > > <permission action="/actions" subject="guest"

=== message truncated ===

Re: webdav ACL

Posted by Andreas Probst <an...@gmx.net>.
Dovan,

Re: webdav ACL

Posted by dovan nguyen <do...@yahoo.com>.
Andreas,

> [...]

> > --- Andreas Probst <an...@gmx.net> wrote:
> > > Hi Dovan,
> > >
> > > i haven't configured SlideRealm so far. So I
> can't
> > > tell you
> > > anything about it.
> > >
> > > To give access to the unauthenticated guest user
> you
> > > could grant
> > > /actions to /users/guest on /.
> > > Place the following tag just below the start tag
> of
> > > the
> > > definition of /
> > > <permission action="/actions"
> subject="/users/guest"
> > > inheritable="true" negative="false"/>
> > >
> > > Maybe it also works with role guest, because
> guest
> > > role is
> > > defined in the roles section:
> > > <permission action="/actions" subject="guest"

=== message truncated ===

Re: webdav ACL

Posted by Andreas Probst <an...@gmx.net>.
Dovan,

Re: webdav ACL

Posted by dovan nguyen <do...@yahoo.com>.
Andreas,

Re: webdav ACL

Posted by Andreas Probst <an...@gmx.net>.
Hi Dovan,

Re: webdav ACL

Posted by dovan nguyen <do...@yahoo.com>.
Andreas,

> [...]

> > >      --links
> > >  and so on
> > >  --john (UserRoleImpl)
> > >  --other users (UserRoleImpl)
> > >  and so on
> > > /files (/actions/read for /users, not
> inheritable)
> > >  --groupA (/actions/read for
> +/users/groupA/readers
> > > and
> > > /actions/write for +/users/groupA/writers)
> > >  --groupB (/actions/read for
> +/users/groupB/readers
> > > and
> > > /actions/write for +/users/groupB/writers)
> > >  and so on
> > >
> > > I've so far not dynamically created users,
> groups
> > > and group
> > > directories. But I think this should be
> possible. I
> > > wait for
> > > Richies implementation of UserDatabase which I

=== message truncated ===

Re: webdav ACL

Posted by dovan nguyen <do...@yahoo.com>.
Andreas,

> [...]

> > >      --links
> > >  and so on
> > >  --john (UserRoleImpl)
> > >  --other users (UserRoleImpl)
> > >  and so on
> > > /files (/actions/read for /users, not
> inheritable)
> > >  --groupA (/actions/read for
> +/users/groupA/readers
> > > and
> > > /actions/write for +/users/groupA/writers)
> > >  --groupB (/actions/read for
> +/users/groupB/readers
> > > and
> > > /actions/write for +/users/groupB/writers)
> > >  and so on
> > >
> > > I've so far not dynamically created users,
> groups
> > > and group
> > > directories. But I think this should be
> possible. I
> > > wait for
> > > Richies implementation of UserDatabase which I

=== message truncated ===

Re: webdav ACL

Posted by dovan nguyen <do...@yahoo.com>.
Andreas,

did this and it still doesn't let me in... and I also
change the following:

      <!-- Default properties mapping -->
      <default-property name="foo" namespace="nsfoo/"
value="bar"
       role="user"/>
      <default-property name="password"
namespace="weblaw/" value=""
       role="user"/>

Any other suggestion ?  Please let me know.

=== message truncated ===

Re: webdav ACL

Posted by Andreas Probst <an...@gmx.net>.

Re: webdav ACL

Posted by dovan nguyen <do...@yahoo.com>.
Andreas,

Re: webdav ACL

Posted by dovan nguyen <do...@yahoo.com>.
Andreas,

Re: webdav ACL

Posted by Andreas Probst <an...@gmx.net>.
Hi Dovan,

Re: webdav ACL

Posted by dovan nguyen <do...@yahoo.com>.
Andreas,

Re: webdav ACL

Posted by Andreas Probst <an...@gmx.net>.
Hi Sean!

On 1 Nov 2002 at 17:22, Sean Qi wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> I am trying to use Slide to build a conttent management system.
>
> I plan to use the JDBCRealm for user authentication at the servlet container level.
>
> In the meantime, I want to do the user authorization, such as user A can only read ABC.txt and meanwhile user B can read/write ABC.txt.  I guess the "org.apache.webdav.*" can do the job.

Authentication is done by servlet container, ie. Tomcat.
Authorization is done by Slide using Access Control Lists (ACL),
which are saved in the nodes of the tree.

> 1.  How to use/leveage/integrate the "org.apache.webdav.*" together with the user authentication at the servlet container level?
> 2.  Would you please give me some pointers where I can have a good/better understanding of how to "org.apache.webdav.*"  packages?

org.apache.webdav.cmd.Slide and org.apache.webdav.cmd.Client
would be good starting points for the WebDAV-Client packages.

> Any input appreciated. Thanx
>
> S.Q

Andreas