Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@galois.collab.net> on 2000/11/13 18:17:00 UTC

Re: inspiration...

Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net> writes:
> I *know* subversion will be better than this: (on locus right now)

Yes, now that you mention it, it will be better than this. :-)

(Uh, what on *earth* is causing the cvs server to bloat like that, do
we know?)

Re: inspiration...

Posted by John P Cavanaugh <ca...@soco.agilent.com>.
On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 12:17:00PM -0600, Karl Fogel wrote:
> Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net> writes:
> > I *know* subversion will be better than this: (on locus right now)
>
> Yes, now that you mention it, it will be better than this. :-)
>
> (Uh, what on *earth* is causing the cvs server to bloat like that, do
> we know?)

If it hasnt been fixed in cvs I know of one instance that used to cause
enormous memory usage. Try doing a cvs history on a server with a HUGE
history file. If I remember correctly, cvs mallocs the size of the file,
slurps it into memory, then processes the file line by line, then frees
the memory. Butt ugly...

    John Cavanaugh                          Agilent Technologies
    R&D Program Manager                     1400 Fountaingrove Pkwy
    CAD Data Store                          Santa Rosa, CA 95403-1799

    Email: cavanaug@soco.agilent.com    Phone:  707-577-4780
                                                707-577-3948 (Fax)
      As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I
     just watch what they do.
                                           -- Andrew Carnegie