Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Wei Leong <wl...@blackducksoftware.com> on 2013/03/07 17:58:20 UTC

Guest network without virtual router

Is there an easy way from the UI to create a network without using the virtual router? I'm running configured cloudstack with basic networking and the cloudstack server sits in our network that already has a dhcp/server setup. I would like my guest VMs to just that instead of the virtual router.

According to this blog it is possible but only through the API, is there an alternative?
http://blog.remibergsma.com/2012/03/10/howto-create-a-network-in-cloudstack-without-a-virtual-router/

Re: Guest network without virtual router

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
You can check by logging in to the VR and the contents of
/var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases
Dnsmasq is programmed to only answer requests that it knows the mac
address of.
In CS, all mac addresses start with 06: (which is a 'private' OUI)

Posted by Wei Leong <wl...@blackducksoftware.com>.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Wei Leong <wl...@blackducksoftware.com>.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Wei Leong <wl...@blackducksoftware.com>.
It seems I am having a lot of trouble setting up even the simplest of cloudstack networking configurations.

A quick background on my setup:

The kvm host is part of a network of machines that gets their IPs from the router. I intend to set up cloudstack to extend our development infrastructure, VMs in the cloud will function just like physical machines on the network and depend on the router for dhcp and dns. My intention is to have cloudstack manage the provisioning of VMs and provide analysis of the cloud resources (memory, storage etc). Pretty straightforward stuff here.

My initial setup actually worked out ok - I created a zone with basic networking (DefaultSharedNetworkOfferingWithSGService) and guest VMs were assigned IPs according to the range I specified. The VMs had access to the internet and were able to connect to other machines on the network, but DNS did not work. My sys admin was also curious about whether the virtual router was leasing out IPs to physical machines on the network, could this happen? Is is better for hosts to have static IP addresses?

Posted by Bryan Whitehead <dr...@megahappy.net>.