Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gm...@talend.com> on 2012/07/02 13:49:59 UTC

Re: (Roller 3.1) Creating blog entry-specific description meta tags

On 6/19/2012 8:41 AM, Dave wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Glen Mazza<gm...@talend.com>  wrote:
>> Hi, my blog is hosted on JRoller so I'm using Roller 3.1.  For URLs which
>> point directly to a specific blog entry (such as here:
>> http://www.jroller.com/gmazza/entry/cxf_and_metro_team_links, instead of a
>> day, month, or category, etc.), I'd like to alter the<title>  and<meta
>> name="description"/>  tags in the HTML<head>  part to increase hits while
>> Googling and also to make the Google title and description more relevant for
>> the blog posting.  I got the former done fine in the "header" template but
>> am having problems with the latter:
>>
>> #if ($model.permalink == false)
>> <title>#showWebsiteTitle()</title>
>> #else
>> <title>$model.weblogEntry.title | #showWebsiteTitle()</title>
>> <!--meta name="description" content="$model.weblogEntry.????"-->
>> #end
>>
>> <title>  works great now, but description is difficult, I don't know what if
>> anything I can place in that "????" above.  Within each blog entry, I'd like
>> to have a field where I can put in the description blurb ("This blog entry
>> shows you blah blah blah...") that the above template would read in.
>>
>> Any ideas for Roller 3.1?  If not, has this been solved in Roller 4.0 or
>> 5.0?  I can put in an enhancement request if it's not already available.
> Roller now has title, summary and description for each post, but I
> believe that summary was added after Roller 3.1.
>
> - Dave
Hmm, having checked a Roller 5.0 instance, I couldn't see any field on
the blog entry form where I could type in the description.  Am I looking
in the wrong place?

Glen

--
Glen Mazza
Talend Community Coder

Re: (Roller 3.1) Creating blog entry-specific description meta tags

Posted by Glen Mazza <gm...@talend.com>.
No, RSS isn't my concern, and I am not referring to Summary (which I
also use).  For increasing Google hits and making the Google description
readable, this is something very important that Google's Blogger has
(and is easy to implement) but Apache Roller seems to be missing.

When you google my blog "Glen Mazza blog", Google reports this:

/Glen Mazza's Weblog/
<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=glen%20mazza%20weblog&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jroller.com%2Fgmazza%2F&ei=65nxT4C5I6bA0QWJ0rntDQ&usg=AFQjCNFPhltLeUh35nL_hWAq-wBLsDQJLQ&cad=rja>

www.jroller.com/g*mazza*/
Jun 25, 2012 -- Contains many articles on developing web services with
Apache CXF and GlassFish Metro.

The "Contains many articles on developing web services with Apache CXF
and GlassFish Metro." is the description I'm referring to.  That part
comes from the HTML header:

<head>
<title>Glen Mazza's Weblog</title>
<metaname="Description" content="Contains many articles on developing
web services with Apache CXF and GlassFish Metro.">
</head>

Which I was able to insert in by adding this Macro to the header template:

That works for my blog's main page as a whole (because Roller stores a
blog-level description field)--but to have a description specific to a
particular blog entry (which Google also indexes), I need to be able to
add a blog entry-specific description line when I create each blog entry
(summary won't do, as it has HTML and can normally be a few sentences
long).  Right now I have a lengthy if/else on my 10 or so most popular
blog entries in the header template, adding a blog-entry specific
description as follows:

     #if ($model.weblogEntry.anchor == 'web_service_tutorial' ||
$model.weblogEntry.anchor == 'java_first_web_service')
and clients with either Apache CXF or GlassFish Metro.">
     #elseif ($model.weblogEntry.anchor == 'junit_web_service_testing')
Apache CXF or GlassFish Metro-based web service providers.">

Yes, mega-yuck.  If Roller allowed us to enter a description field for
each blog entry, all I would have to do is a very simple:
already have $model.weblogEntry.title but no .description yet).

Without a description, Google just randomly excerpts text from the blog
entry when it gives the description.  To be candid, I don't see how
Roller can compete with other blogging tools unless it provides this
functionality.

Regards,
Glen

--
Glen Mazza
Talend Community Coder

Re: (Roller 3.1) Creating blog entry-specific description meta tags

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

--
Dave M. Johnson
Apache Roller PMC Chair