Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Michael Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2007/10/12 18:48:41 UTC

hudson and failing contrib tests

Just a note to apologize for all of the patch and nightly build failures
in hbase of late.  Making hbase run smooth up on hudson is our #1 priority.

Many of the failings are hard to explain and not reproducible locally
but often, when we persist, we'll find a bug that our idiosyncratic
friend, Mr. Hudson, has managed to uncover.  Other times, we're plain
stumped especially when a test that has been running faultless for weeks
of a sudden ups and fails.  If we can't figure why a test fails and it
does so repeatedly, we've recently taken to giving the test a sabbatical.

We develop on mac os x and windows.  We'll test patches as-per-process
on these platforms and on linux before passing them to our man from
Upstairs, Downstairs.  We have even spent time recently trying to
replicate the Hudson environment locally installing sunos on a
single-cpu running builds under high load but to no avail; it wouldn't
fail the way Hudson does.

Thanks for your patience,

Yours,
The Hbase crew