Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Chathuri Wimalasena <ka...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/13 21:43:22 UTC

[DISCUSS] Apache Airavata 0.11 RC1 release

Hi All,

Airavata 0.11 RC1[1] is ready for testing.

Here are some pointers for testing

   - Verify the fixed issue for this release [2]
   - Verify the basic workflow composition/execution/monitoring scenarios
   from
   - Airavata 5 & 10 min tutorials [3],[4]
   - Verify airavata client samples
   - Verify the stability with derby & mysql backend databases
   - Verify that the XBaya JNLP distribution works
   - Verify deploying Airavata server in a tomcat distribution

Please report any issues[5] if you encounter while testing. Thank you for
your time in validating the release.

Regards,
Chathuri (On behalf of Airavata PMC)

[1] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/airavata/0.11/RC1/
[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRAVATA-278?jql=project%20%3D%20AIRAVATA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%220.11%22%20ORDER%20BY%20status%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC
[3]
http://airavata.apache.org/documentation/tutorials/airavata-in-5-minutes.html
[4]
http://airavata.apache.org/documentation/tutorials/airavata-in-10-minutes.html
[5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRAVATA

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Methodology

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>.
This is nice !

-AJ

Posted by Saminda Wijeratne <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>.
+1, please.

Posted by Marlon Pierce <ma...@iu.edu>.
Heh--I started this on Rave, so I'm +1.

Marlon

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Saminda Wijeratne <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eran Chinthaka Withana <er...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Going through the above list is a task a release manager can do before
doing the release but things might be broken very badly by that time. So it
will be a mess to start fixing things during the release time.

I had a chance to look into integration tests in Airavata and there were
only few tests. If we could add more integration tests there covering more
functionality then it will

1. help ease the work of release manager
2. improve the confidence of the adding new patches (and all the good
things that will come with integration tests)

I saw Amila enumerating some use cases on a different mail thread on what
needs to be tested. I strongly recommend spending sometime to implement
those tests to make Airavata releases more stable.

Also, considering the number of components we have in Airavata its like an
airplane with lots of complicated parts waiting to fail at any time.
Failure of one component can be disastrous for the whole system. The only
"warning" we will have will be those integration tests.

In WS project, we used to have a nightly build that will run all
integration tests and send "complaint" mails to everyone who broke the
build with their commits. These nightly builds are as good as RCs to start
any release process.

Just sharing some experience I had in a previous life as a release manager
:)

Thanks,
Eran Chinthaka Withana

Posted by Chathuri Wimalasena <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Saminda Wijeratne <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi Suresh,

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

This is a very good question. Lets discuss these options so we are consistent across releases.

If we look at the way we are doing releases, we are calling a feature freeze and code freeze and cutting a release. Most of the time, our build is broken. Jenkins   statistics for Airavata is not looking good at all [1]. We are barely fixing the build a day before the release, putting out an RC and testing on it and releasing it in a quick succession. As we are seeing on user lists, we have users upgrading with every release. I think we should increase the release quality. I would vote for atleast 3 RC’s per release. If we are not finding issues in first RC, I would say, either the software has magically become too too good or we are not doing through testing. I suspect the later.

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Airavata 0.11 RC1 release

Posted by Chathuri Wimalasena <ka...@gmail.com>.
So I will go ahead and start building RC2.

Regards,
Chathuri

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
So far I only testing 5 minute, 10 minute tutorials and they seemed to work fine. I could not test much, but based on what every one is seeing, + 1  to move on with marking Known issues.

Suresh

Posted by Lahiru Gunathilake <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marlon Pierce <ma...@iu.edu>.

Posted by Raminder Singh <ra...@gmail.com>.
I did testing of Gram and GSISSH providers and tested API to run jobs. I found an issue [1] with GSISSH provider but its not a blocker. I rolled back the Jglobus version to 2.0.6 and bouncycastle version to 1.45. I think we are good to create RC2.

Thanks
Raminder

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRAVATA-969

Posted by Lahiru Gunathilake <gl...@gmail.com>.