Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Ekrame Ayari <ek...@integragen.com> on 2007/07/02 16:08:43 UTC

How delete rows in table with free disk space?

Hi

I wish to remove table rows to allow user decrease space disk.

I try to delete table rows for free disk space with this code :

"Connect connect = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:GenoCensusMin2");
Statement stat = connect.createStatement();
stat.executeUpdate("DELETE FROM Project WHERE id="+idProjet);"

But disk space size of my system directory is the same before and after
the deletion.

Can you help me?

Sincerly

E'Krame Jacoby
IntegraGen SA (France)

Re: How delete rows in table with free disk space?

Posted by Kurt Huwig <k....@iku-ag.de>.
Am Montag, 2. Juli 2007 schrieb Ekrame Ayari:
> Hi
>
> I wish to remove table rows to allow user decrease space disk.
>
> I try to delete table rows for free disk space with this code :
>
> "Connect connect =
> DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:GenoCensusMin2"); Statement stat =
> connect.createStatement();
> stat.executeUpdate("DELETE FROM Project WHERE id="+idProjet);"
>
> But disk space size of my system directory is the same before and after
> the deletion.
>
> Can you help me?

Try this:

CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_INPLACE_COMPRESS_TABLE('APP','PROJECT',1,1,1)
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Kurt Huwig

GnuPG 1024D/99DD9468 64B1 0C5B 82BC E16E 8940  EB6D 4C32 F908 99DD 9468

Re: How delete rows in table with free disk space?

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com>.
> But disk space size of my system directory is the same before and after
> the deletion.

To release disk space back to the operating system, compress the
table after you've deleted the rows:

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/ref/rrefaltertablecompress.html

thanks,

bryan

Re: How delete rows in table with free disk space?

Posted by Daniel Noll <da...@nuix.com>.
On Tuesday 03 July 2007 00:08:43 Ekrame Ayari wrote:
> Hi
>
> I wish to remove table rows to allow user decrease space disk.
>
> I try to delete table rows for free disk space with this code :
>
> "Connect connect =
> DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:GenoCensusMin2"); Statement stat =
> connect.createStatement();
> stat.executeUpdate("DELETE FROM Project WHERE id="+idProjet);"
>
> But disk space size of my system directory is the same before and after
> the deletion.
>
> Can you help me?

Have you tried using SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_COMPRESS_TABLE ?

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll
Nuix Pty Ltd

Re: How delete rows in table with free disk space?

Posted by Brandon Dohman <br...@eiu.edu>.
possibly the size that is deleted is so small that it doesn't really show up in the disk space description in the operating system.  how is it that you are checking disk space?