Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de> on 2013/03/02 14:30:57 UTC

Re: Issue with large PDF-Files

Hi,

Am 27.02.2013 10:37, schrieb Jon Doe:
> Hey Guys!
>
> I've got an issue with PDFBox.
> I want to create a PDF about, let's say, 100 pages and every page contains
> an Image (I got the images from a .tiff file and decoded them to PNG).
>
> After about fifty pages I get an OutOfMemoryException from my Java runtime
> and
> the application terminates -  do you have an idea how I get rid of this? I
> tried for days
> to find a useable solution, but it's not that successive as I expected.
> I don't want to reserve 2GiB of RAM space just for a Tiif to PDF
> conversion, so have
> you any ideas how I could continue my work?
Hmm, I can imagine several reasons for that

- a huge pdf needs at least more memory than smaller ones
- your application didn't free resources when they aren't needed anymore
- your images are using a very huge resolution
- ....

> I already tried the .saveIncremental() methods, looked for page
> compression, extended the
> Heapspace with -Xmx1024M  and did a few other things but it still isn't
> working.
Incremental saving isn't supposed to be used in that context.

> It'd be great to hearing from you, thank you in advance!
Depending on the "real" reason for your issue, there are different possible
solutions/worksarounds

- optimize your code
- reduce the resolution of the images
- split up your pdfs, lets say into pieces of 10 pages each and merge those
pieces using the PDFMergerUtility provided by PDFBox into one huge pdf

> Regards,
> Kai Oliver

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler