Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Averill Cate Jr <ac...@email.arizona.edu> on 2007/05/16 02:06:56 UTC

Novice User Question

Hi,

I am relatively new to Maven and hope to try and use it for a project.
I am using another vendors jar files (many) for my web-app project.  I
would like to add all of this vendor's jar files to my local
repository.  I am not sure how to do this.  Can someone help?  Thanks in
advance.

acatejr

Re: Novice User Question

Posted by Jo Vandermeeren <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Averill,

Seems you're getting a bit confused.

For each jar file that you want to install manually in your local maven
repository, do the following:

1. Define a group ID value for the jars you are installing, if they are 3rd
party, give them the vendor's name or url or something (groupId)
2. Define a unique artifact ID for the jar file (artifactId)
3. Define a version for the jar file (version)
4. Execute the following command, using the values you have defined in the
previous steps instead of "your.groupId", "your.artifactId" and "
your.version":

mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=your.groupId -DartifactId=your.artifactId \
          -Dversion=your.version -Dpackaging=jar
-Dfile=/path/to/the/jarfile/ -DgeneratePom=true

This will install the jar file in your maven repository and creat a POM
descriptor for it..
If the jar files has dependencies to other artifacts, you might want to add
them to the depdendencies list of the generated POM.

Cheers
Jo

Re: Novice User Question

Posted by Steven Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
Hi Averill,

What exactly do you mean by "append each jar"?  To what?  What outcome
are you looking for?

I think "(over)writing the jar file in the repository" is exactly what
is meant by "adding jar files to the local repository".  Maybe your
terminology is causing miscommunication.

The main point of putting .jar files in your local repository is to make
them available for Maven's dependency resolution mechanism - do you have
something else in mind?

Steve

Re: Novice User Question

Posted by Maria Odea Ching <oc...@exist.com>.
The -D settings that you can set for the maven plugin goals are
available at the maven site, here's the link:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins

The parameters are listed in each of the plugin goals page and the
Expression defined in the plugin docs are the values which you use in
the -D settings.

-Deng

Re: Novice User Question

Posted by Maria Odea Ching <oc...@exist.com>.
You want to install your vendor jars in the local repo right?

Re: Novice User Question

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Copy and paste the command(s) you are using, and what the outcome is
of each execution. You're probably just using the mvn install command
incorrectly.

Wayne

Re: Novice User Question

Posted by Averill Cate Jr <ac...@email.arizona.edu>.
Thanks.  I tried that, but all it does is keep overwriting the jar file
in the repository.  It doesn't append each jar that I need.  Is there a
setting or command line arg that I should be using?  Thanks again.

acatejr

Jaish.Singh@wellsfargo.com wrote:
> Use maven install:install command

RE: Novice User Question