Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Brock Denson <Br...@csr.com> on 2008/07/01 17:29:39 UTC

problems with apache and svn

Hi,

This has been killing me:

Setup:

FC8

Apache 2.2.8 (Unix) DAV/2 SVN/1.4.4 ...  (from /etc/httpd/log/error_log)

SVN 1.4.4 (r25188)

I set up the repository as follows:

Mkdir /home/me/svn

Chown svn:svn /home/me/svn

Chmod g+s /home/me/svn

Svnadmin create /home/me/svn/repo

I added the following lines to httpd.conf

LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so     (this was already there)

LoadModule dav_svn_module modules/mod_dav_svn.so    (oddly, this is not
there, but when added it complains that it is already loaded)

<Location /svn>

            DAV svn

            SVNPATH /home/me/svn/repo

</Location>

I can access the repo with:

Svn list file:///home/me/svn/repo

And even from a remote machine with:

Svn list svn+ssh://192.168.1.2/home/me/svn/repo

But when I try with a browser to http://localhost/svn I get the
following error:

"Could not open requested SVN filesystem"

And the error_log reads:

[error] [client 127.0.0.1] (20014) Internal error: Can't open file
/home/me/svn/repo/format : Permission denied

Apache is running as user apache which is a member of group svn.

Permissions on /home/me/svn/repo/format are 444 root svn which should
allow reads by anyone.  If I change the permissions to 777 and/or the
owner to apache I have the same problem.

I am a bit baffled here and welcome any ideas.  I have looked around on
google, but all of the issues I have seen about this are when the repo
is not where it should be.

cheers

RE: problems with apache and svn

Posted by Brock Denson <Br...@csr.com>.

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Brock Denson <Br...@csr.com>
wrote:

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Brock Denson <Br...@csr.com>
wrote:

Hi,

This has been killing me:

Setup:

FC8

Apache 2.2.8 (Unix) DAV/2 SVN/1.4.4 ...  (from /etc/httpd/log/error_log)

SVN 1.4.4 (r25188)

I set up the repository as follows:

Mkdir /home/me/svn

Chown svn:svn /home/me/svn

Chmod g+s /home/me/svn

Svnadmin create /home/me/svn/repo

Can you set the permissions such that the owner and the group had rw
access throughout the repository (do the chmod/chown with -R option --
and after svnadmin create)? Can you let us know if that works?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I had tried that.  That is the really
baffling part... I have to be overlooking something.  Ill admit that I
am no Linux expert, so if you can think of something else I could try or
send that would be helpful, please let me know.

Well, everything so far looks good. One more trivial check, probably you
did that as well. But just checking.
What is the permission of /home/me? Does it have read/execute access for
apache/svn?

Ok, I will wear the dunce cap for the rest of the day... I changed the
svn root dir from where it was originally, and didn't even think of
that.  Many thanks...

rgds
-Hari

To report this email as spam click here
<https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/eynJKMjD9CrTndxI!oX7UqcUCtlg0TD8t1Usr7ux
MbG6E7v7+yOTXi41l60Sn2ZPRez0xCWp!c6Vy4oAFznL6w==> .

Re: problems with apache and svn

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brock Denson <Br...@csr.com>.

	Svn list file:///home/me/svn/repo <http://home/me/svn/repo>

	And even from a remote machine with:

	Svn list svn+ssh://192.168.1.2/home/me/svn/repo

	But when I try with a browser to http://localhost/svn I get the
following error:

	"Could not open requested SVN filesystem"

	And the error_log reads:

	[error] [client 127.0.0.1] (20014) Internal error: Can't open
file /home/me/svn/repo/format : Permission denied

	Apache is running as user apache which is a member of group svn.

	Permissions on /home/me/svn/repo/format are 444 root svn which
should allow reads by anyone.  If I change the permissions to 777 and/or
the owner to apache I have the same problem.

	I am a bit baffled here and welcome any ideas.  I have looked
around on google, but all of the issues I have seen about this are when
the repo is not where it should be.

	cheers

To report this email as spam click here
<https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/ffM1UK7WFizTndxI!oX7Uj80y4Ou3KxpsHX3zCnX
TtP6KHMbQzYauy41l60Sn2ZPRez0xCWp!c4jp+mmMV7JIw==> .

Re: problems with apache and svn

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brock Denson <Br...@csr.com>.
On Jul 1, 2008, at 12:29, Brock Denson wrote:

> Setup:
> FC8
> Apache 2.2.8 (Unix) DAV/2 SVN/1.4.4 ...  (from
/etc/httpd/log/error_log)
> SVN 1.4.4 (r25188)
>
> I set up the repository as follows:
>
> Mkdir /home/me/svn
> Chown svn:svn /home/me/svn
> Chmod g+s /home/me/svn
> Svnadmin create /home/me/svn/repo
>
> I added the following lines to httpd.conf
>
> LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so     (this was already there)
> LoadModule dav_svn_module modules/mod_dav_svn.so    (oddly, this is
> not there, but when added it complains that it is already loaded)
>
> <Location /svn>
>             DAV svn
>             SVNPATH /home/me/svn/repo
> </Location>
>
> I can access the repo with:
> Svn list file:///home/me/svn/repo
>
> And even from a remote machine with:
> Svn list svn+ssh://192.168.1.2/home/me/svn/repo
>
> But when I try with a browser to http://localhost/svn I get the
> following error:
> "Could not open requested SVN filesystem"
>
> And the error_log reads:
> [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (20014) Internal error: Can't open file /
> home/me/svn/repo/format : Permission denied
>
> Apache is running as user apache which is a member of group svn.
> Permissions on /home/me/svn/repo/format are 444 root svn which
> should allow reads by anyone.  If I change the permissions to 777
> and/or the owner to apache I have the same problem.
>
> I am a bit baffled here and welcome any ideas.  I have looked
> around on google, but all of the issues I have seen about this are
> when the repo is not where it should be.

Sounds like permission problems. Since your normal permissions seem
to be in order, what about SELinux permissions? Are you using
SELinux? See the FAQ entry on setting up permissions:

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#reposperms

I am not using SELinux, and a bit at a loss as to what to try next.  I
am no Linux expert, but I have to be overlooking something simple right?
Any ideas on what to check next?

 To report this email as spam click
https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/M8XPjvD3fafTndxI!oX7Uo6Jo2jyFjEGrjAdi9K5E
FFCM6wyT76MzdxBTxvs8OPTRez0xCWp!c6gvJyt6ermNw== .

Re: problems with apache and svn

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.