Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com> on 2022/05/26 18:57:41 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Qpid proton-dotnet 1.0.0-M1 (RC1)

Hi folks,

I have put together a release candidate for a 1.0.0-M1 Qpid
proton-dotnet release,
please give it a test out and vote accordingly. This is the first
milestone release for this
new .NET based AMQP client and accompanying protocol engine.

The source and binary archives can be grabbed from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton-dotnet/1.0.0-M1-rc1/

The JIRAs assigned are:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/PROTON/versions/12351750

Regards

--
Tim Bish

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid proton-dotnet 1.0.0-M1 (RC1)

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 5/26/22 14:57, Timothy Bish wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a release candidate for a 1.0.0-M1 Qpid
> proton-dotnet release,
> please give it a test out and vote accordingly. This is the first
> milestone release for this
> new .NET based AMQP client and accompanying protocol engine.
>
> The source and binary archives can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton-dotnet/1.0.0-M1-rc1/
>
> The JIRAs assigned are:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/PROTON/versions/12351750
>
> Regards

+1

* Validated signatures and checksums

* Verified license and notice files in bin and src archives

* Verified headers in source using 'mvn apache-rat:check'

* Built from source and ran the tests with 'dotnet test'

* Ran examples from the build against an Artemis 2.22.0 broker install

* Ran some examples from the build against an ActiveMQ 5.x broker install

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 8 Jun 2022 at 16:50, Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/30/22 07:32, Jiri Daněk wrote:

> >> Thanks, that was a late addition and I'll add an entry for the next
> >> release.  I noticed some other cleanups that could be done but thought
> >> it was good to get a release milestone out so more eyes can hit this

> >> Will move that up to 6 still targeting the  5.0 framework
> >>
> > When I wanted to build from source using dotnet 6.0 on Linux, I got an
> > error saying that 5.0 is required. I think that (if possible), the project
> > should be configured to use "current or any higher available" version.
> > Given that dotnet 7.0 is already a thing
> >
> > ```
> > /home/jdanek/repos/qpid/qpid-proton-dotnet/examples/Example.HelloWorld/bin/Debug/net5.0/Example.HelloWorld
> > It was not possible to find any compatible framework version
> > The framework 'Microsoft.NETCore.App', version '5.0.0' (x64) was not found.
> >    - The following frameworks were found:
> >        6.0.4 at [/usr/lib64/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App]
>
> Another option that is built into the project configuration here is to
> specify what frameworks you want on build
>
> building with: "dotnet build
> /property:DefaultTargetFrameworkVersion=net6.0" will build everything
> with a target of net6.0
>
> buidling with: "dotnet build
> /property:DefaultExeTargetFrameworkVersion=net6.0" will build the
> library with the intended net5.0 targeting but build the examples with a
> net6.0 target
>

> > You can resolve the problem by installing the specified framework and/or
> > SDK.
> >
> > The specified framework can be found at:
> >    -
> > https://aka.ms/dotnet-core-applaunch?framework=Microsoft.NETCore.App&framework_version=5.0.0&arch=x64&rid=fedora.36-x64
> >
> > Process finished with exit code 150.
> > ```
> > It should be that roll-forward policy thing, afaik. Meanwhile, I just did
> > search/replace for net5.0 to net6.0.
>

> --
> Tim Bish

I tried this out on Fedora 36 as it seemed from the URL that is what
Jiri used, and I saw something similar; the initial build completed
but the tests then failed to run.

Trying Tim's suggested workaround allowed me to get the tests to run,
all passed successfully.

I was also able to get things going by patching the build source to
use the 'RollForward' policy Jiri noted during the tests, configuring
it to 'LatestMajor' instead of the default Minor.

I raised https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-2560 to address
that in future, I dont think its a blocker for an M1 release (the
issue/workarounds could be referenced in the release notes though).

Robbie

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid proton-dotnet 1.0.0-M1 (RC1)

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 5/30/22 07:32, Jiri Daněk wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 6:05 PM Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> I checked things over as follows:
>>> - Verified the signature + checksum files.
>>> - Checked for LICENCE + NOTICE files in the archives.
>>> - Used "mvn apache-rat:check" to verify headers in the source archive.
>>> - Ran the source build and tests in container using "./build.sh
>>> podman-test", all passed.
>>>
>>> Some trivial niggles noticed:
>>> - The "podman-test" command isnt listed in the build.sh usage
>> Thanks, that was a late addition and I'll add an entry for the next
>> release.  I noticed some other cleanups that could be done but thought
>> it was good to get a release milestone out so more eyes can hit this
>>

>>> - The usage help is effectively printed twice due to the script always
>>> setting debug flag.
>>> - The GitHub Actions CI build is using .Net 5 and generating a warning
>>> about it being EOL, the job should be updated to use .Net 6 instead.
>> Will move that up to 6 still targeting the  5.0 framework
>>
> When I wanted to build from source using dotnet 6.0 on Linux, I got an
> error saying that 5.0 is required. I think that (if possible), the project
> should be configured to use "current or any higher available" version.
> Given that dotnet 7.0 is already a thing

The project targets 5.0 but would work with 6 which is what I have
installed on my Ubuntu based system and it builds without issue, you
could possibly install a targeting pack if your distribution offers
those which might address the issue or you can try building using the
build script and running the 'docker-test' options > ./build.sh docker-test

Posted by Jiri Daněk <jd...@redhat.com>.
+1, provided that https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-2560 gets
release-noted

* Validated source archive checksum
* Built from source on Fedora 36
* Ran several examples (after applying workaround for PROTON-2560)
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards
Jiri Daněk

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid proton-dotnet 1.0.0-M1 (RC1)

Posted by Jiri Daněk <jd...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.