Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de> on 2011/12/04 19:46:31 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] mod_proxy ProxyPass max parameter and ThreadsPerChild

On 29.11.2011 11:29, codefruit wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Apache 2.2 with the MPM worker. I have some questions about
> the interaction between the 'max' parameter that can be added to a
> mod_proxy ProxyPass configuration line and the MPM worker
> ThreadsPerChild value.
>
>  From reading the docs, my understanding is that if I add a 'max'
> key/value to a ProxyPass line then the max should only be less than or
> equal to ThreadsPerChild.

> 1) Is this correct?

Yes.

> 2) If I do not add a max value to the ProxyPass line is the maximum
> amount of connections allowed through still subject to the limit of
> ThreadsPerChild?

Docs say: The default for this limit is the number of threads per
process in the active MPM. In the Prefork MPM, this is always 1, while
with other MPMs it is controlled by the ThreadsPerChild directive.

So: "yes"

> 3) If I have a configuration such as:
>
> ProxyPass /examples http://backend.example.com/examples max=10
> ProxyPass /docs http://backend.example.com/docs max=100
>
> ThreadsPerChild=150
>
> Can both ProxyPass connection pools use the same server child process
> (for example a single one with 150 threads)?

Yes.

Incoming requests are mapped to threads, threads work on the request and
finally need to contact a backend server depending on configuration and
URL. At that point in time they try to get a backend connection from the
pool.

Each process has its own proxy pools (all with the same config).

Regards,

Rainer