Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by ke...@dice.com on 2000/11/13 21:30:58 UTC

Trying to use startup.pl to reduce the size of httpd child proces ses....

Hello all,

I am trying to reduce the size of my child httpd processes.  We are using
modperl, Embperl, DBI and DBD:Oracle.  Our current httpd processes quickly
grow to 22M or so after a database connection.  I read in the modperl docs
that modules can be preloaded into the parent httpd process and the child
process will then share the code.  I setup a startup.pl file to preload the
modules I need, but instead of reducing the child process size,  all httpd
processes are now 22M as soon as apache is started.  Modperl is compiled
statically into httpd because dynamic loading has some serious problems on
tru64.

Any help much appreciated,
Kevin Riggins
dice.com
email: kevinr@dice.com
email: kriggins@email.com
phone: (515) 313-2127

Re: Trying to use startup.pl to reduce the size of httpd child processes....

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> I am trying to reduce the size of my child httpd processes.  We are using
> modperl, Embperl, DBI and DBD:Oracle.  Our current httpd processes quickly
> grow to 22M or so after a database connection.  I read in the modperl docs
> that modules can be preloaded into the parent httpd process and the child
> process will then share the code.  I setup a startup.pl file to preload
the
> modules I need, but instead of reducing the child process size,  all httpd
> processes are now 22M as soon as apache is started.

Yes, of course they are, but now all childs share the same memory, so memory
is taken up only once, while without preloading memory is taken up by every
child. So depending on the number of childs you have, you save a lot of
memory

Gerald

E-Mail:     richter@ecos.de         Voice:    +49 6133 925151

Re: Trying to use startup.pl to reduce the size of httpd child proces ses....

Posted by David Hodgkinson <da...@hodgkinson.org>.
kevinr@dice.com writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to reduce the size of my child httpd processes.  We are using
> modperl, Embperl, DBI and DBD:Oracle.  Our current httpd processes quickly
> grow to 22M or so after a database connection.  I read in the modperl docs
> that modules can be preloaded into the parent httpd process and the child
> process will then share the code.  I setup a startup.pl file to preload the
> modules I need, but instead of reducing the child process size,  all httpd
> processes are now 22M as soon as apache is started.  Modperl is compiled

This is good:

http://perl.apache.org/guide

Read up on what's shared and what's not.

--
Dave Hodgkinson,                             http://www.hodgkinson.org
Editor-in-chief, The Highway Star           http://www.deep-purple.com