Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Flik Shen <Fl...@infosys.com> on 2010/07/20 12:56:02 UTC

GUI client might not reach server through SSH tunnel

Hi,

I set the local port of server to 4000 without other change and start server on box 10.X.X.1.
I could successfully run demo case "SimpleTestPlan.jmx" by below instruction.
Jmeter -n -t SimpleTestPlan.jmx -l log.jtl -R 127.0.0.1
Following messages are returned.
Created the tree successfully using SimpleTestPlan.jmx
Configuring remote engine for 127.0.0.1
Using remote object: UnicastRef [liveRef: [endpoint:[10.X.X.1:4000](remote),objID:[2a4874c0:129ef46746f:-8000, 0]]]
Starting remote engines
Starting the test @ Tue Jul 20 10:25:28 GMT 2010 (1279621528920)
Remote engines have been started
Tidying up ...    @ Tue Jul 20 10:25:29 GMT 2010 (1279621529636)
... end of run

I build SSH tunnel on both 1099 and 4000 on my box whose IP is 192.X.X.1 to remote server.
And run following command.
Jmeter -n -t SimpleTestPlan.jmx -l log.jtl -R 127.0.0.1
And below messages are got and stuck there.
Created the tree successfully using SimpleTestPlan.jmx
Configuring remote engine for 127.0.0.1
Using remote object: UnicastRef [liveRef: [endpoint:[10.X.X.1:4000](remote),objID:[2a4874c0:129ef46746f:-8000, 0]]]
Starting remote engines
Starting the test @ Tue Jul 20 18:32:19 CST 2010 (1279621939513)
Remote engines have been started
I found there is exception occurs in log file.
2010/07/20 18:32:34 ERROR - jmeter.engine.ClientJMeterEngine:  java.rmi.ConnectIOException: Exception creating connection to: 10.X.X.1; nested exception is:
        java.net.NoRouteToHostException: connect timed out: 10.X.X.1
        at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPEndpoint.newSocket(TCPEndpoint.java:587)
        at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection(TCPChannel.java:185)
        at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(TCPChannel.java:171)
        at org.apache.jmeter.engine.RemoteJMeterEngineImpl_Stub.configure(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.jmeter.engine.ClientJMeterEngine.run(ClientJMeterEngine.java:122)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)
Caused by: java.net.NoRouteToHostException: connect timed out: 10.X.X.1
        at sun.rmi.transport.proxy.RMIMasterSocketFactory.createSocket(RMIMasterSocketFactory.java:187)
        at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPEndpoint.newSocket(TCPEndpoint.java:569)
        ... 6 more

I guess to provide facilities, Jmeter Server might registry its IP address and port in RMI server.
Client will use this information to communicate with Jmeter Server.
The disadvantage is client could not reach remote server by IP address through SSH Tunnel automatically after it fetches remote server IP address.

Base on above I guess Jmeter Client and Server could not work through SSH Tunnel.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

Thanks and best regards,
Flik

Re: GUI client might not reach server through SSH tunnel

Posted by Flik Shen <Fl...@infosys.com>.
Hi,

I get deep into code level and find something.
In class ClientJMeterEngine and method getEngine, logic is as below.
      final String name = "//" + h + "/" + RemoteJMeterEngineImpl.JMETER_ENGINE_RMI_NAME;
       Remote remobj = Naming.lookup(name);
       if (remobj instanceof RemoteJMeterEngine){
           final RemoteJMeterEngine rje = (RemoteJMeterEngine) remobj;
           if (remobj instanceof RemoteObject){
               RemoteObject robj = (RemoteObject) remobj;
               System.out.println("Using remote object: "+robj.getRef().remoteToString());
           }
           return rje;
       }

Remote server will be referred by its host name or IP which is configured inn properties file or command-line parameters.
Class RemoteJMeterEngine is a sub-class of class UnicastRemoteObject.
Any instance of UnicastRemoteObject will create stub and skeleton for communicating with remote object automatically.

I could specify the host name or IP by configuration or parameter-passed when looking up the remote server.
However the UnicastRemoteObject create connection by itself and I even have no chance to specify host name.
So I guess this might be the root cause of communication failure between client and server.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

Cheers,
Flik

On 7/26/10 4:27 PM, "Felix Frank" <ff...@mpexnet.de> wrote:

> It fails when I run Jmeter client locally + SSH Tunnel + Jmeter server on remote.

Query the network administrator(s).

> About hosts file, I did not try it yet.
> Do you suggest me to append a new entry about "10.108.44.1 localhost"?

No, I suggested on several occasions that you add the `hostname` of
10.108.44.1 to its 127.0.0.1 entry. Comment out all other lines
containing this alias to be on the safe side.

> [cid:3363006325_515265]

This links to about:blank for me.

Re: GUI client might not reach server through SSH tunnel

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.

Posted by Flik Shen <Fl...@infosys.com>.
Hi

I think the topology might look like below.
I am not sure about whether there is a firewall on customer site.
However I could not access the service hosted on remote directly and error  is "connection refused" or "could not connect host". (it seems there is a firewall.)
I could get correct result when I SSH tunnel to remote server and run test plan with setting 127.0.0.1 as "Server Name or IP".
It also works when I login via SSH and run test plan under Jmeter non-GUI + Server mode.
It fails when I run Jmeter client locally + SSH Tunnel + Jmeter server on remote.
Base on above, I guess Jmeter client could not work with Jmeter servers via SSH Tunnel.

About hosts file, I did not try it yet.
Do you suggest me to append a new entry about "10.108.44.1 localhost"?

Cheers,
Flik

[cid:3363006325_515265]

On 7/23/10 6:22 PM, "Felix Frank" <ff...@mpexnet.de> wrote:

Don't overdo it. The important questions are simple:
1. What IP do you SSH to?
2. Does the SSH work per NAT?
3. If so, can similar NATs be installed for Jmeter?
4. Otherwise, have you *tried* manipulating /etc/hosts yet?

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.

Posted by Flik Shen <Fl...@infosys.com>.
Hi Felix,

The server stay at non-public but it not another part of company's network.
It locates on customer's network indeed.

So route information may not easy to configuring.

Maybe topological diagram might be helpful for clarification.
I will draw it Monday and share with you.

Cheers,
Flik

On 7/23/10 3:28 PM, "Felix Frank" <ff...@mpexnet.de> wrote:

Flik,

>  1.  Jmeter client touches RMI server via tunnel.
>  2.  Jmeter client obtains information of jmeter server, like IP address, Server Listening Port and etc.
>  3.  Jmeter client creates new socket directly to server according to IP address and port obtained.
>  4.  If it is successful to create socket, test plan will be transferred to jmeter server, if not error will be logged.

This sounds just right.

> My real concern is whether jmeter server is reachable when it stay on non-public IP address behind a firewall.

10.x.x.x is non-public, so I assume the server is just in another LAN of
your company's, reachable via a router/firewall.

> Which IP address Jmeter server registers itself in RMI server, its own one or the firewall's?

The server has no way of knowing the firewall's IP address. You *could*
trick jmeter using an /etc/hosts entry, but then the firewall would
positively need NAT rules.

> It might be unreachable when it uses its own.

SSH is reachable via the server's own address. You probably only need to
ask your admin to open the Jmeter relevant ports for similar routing.
Then SSH tunneling will be completely unnecessary.

> Similarly, if I want keep information transition safe and using SSH tunnel, it might not work.

As stated previously, your Jmeter server must believe it was reachable
via 127.0.0.1 (as per /etc/hosts), otherwise communication will
certainly not work.

> If anything is wrong, please correct me.

There is some confusion about your actual topography. Can you ping the
Jmeter server from your box? If so, please do a traceroute to your
server and include the output (unless it's huge).

Cheers,
Felix

Infosys e-mail system.

Re: GUI client might not reach server through SSH tunnel

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
Flik,

Posted by Flik Shen <Fl...@infosys.com>.
Hi Felix,

I think you're right that it is only simple routing matter if remote server stands on public IP address.

Base on appearance of jmeter server, I guess the process of communication of jmeter client and server which is behind firewall might be like below.

 1.  Jmeter client touches RMI server via tunnel.
 2.  Jmeter client obtains information of jmeter server, like IP address, Server Listening Port and etc.
 3.  Jmeter client creates new socket directly to server according to IP address and port obtained.
 4.  If it is successful to create socket, test plan will be transferred to jmeter server, if not error will be logged.

My real concern is whether jmeter server is reachable when it stay on non-public IP address behind a firewall.
Which IP address Jmeter server registers itself in RMI server, its own one or the firewall's?
It might be unreachable when it uses its own.
Similarly, if I want keep information transition safe and using SSH tunnel, it might not work.

If anything is wrong, please correct me.

Thanks and best regards,
Flik

On 7/22/10 5:46 PM, "Felix Frank" <ff...@mpexnet.de> wrote:

Flik,

it sounds as though this were a rather simple matter of routing. Ask
your administrators whether the ports you need can be treated in the
same way as SSH. That would be the most simple setup.

Otherwise, try the /etc/hosts on the server, I'm not sure whether this
can at all work, though.

Good Look
Felix

On 07/22/2010 11:35 AM, Flik Shen wrote:
> Hi Felix,
>
> It is true that I could visit any service hosted on remote server ONLY after I have login via SSH.
> I am not very sure about what on earth happens.
> Maybe my company's firewall block my request to remote server.
> Maybe my remote server is protected by firewall or something else.
>
> If my jmeter-server only has intranet IP and provide its services via Firewall tunnel.
>  For client, is it, I wonder, still reachable?

Infosys e-mail system.

Re: GUI client might not reach server through SSH tunnel

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
Flik,

Posted by Flik Shen <Fl...@infosys.com>.
Hi Felix,

It is true that I could visit any service hosted on remote server ONLY after I have login via SSH.
I am not very sure about what on earth happens.
Maybe my company's firewall block my request to remote server.
Maybe my remote server is protected by firewall or something else.

If my jmeter-server only has intranet IP and provide its services via Firewall tunnel.
 For client, is it, I wonder, still reachable?

Thanks and best regards,
Flik

On 7/22/10 3:54 PM, "Felix Frank" <ff...@mpexnet.de> wrote:

I concur. As a matter of fact, opening the firewall has been the only
fuss I've yet had with Jmeter Server ports.

Adding a route via 127.0.0.1 is wrong. Rather, the Jmeter Server should
be made to believe its own IP was in fact 127.0.0.1, so it will tell the
client to connect to that IP/Port.

Is the 10.x.x.x subnet visible to your client node? If so, why are
tunnels necessary. If not, am I correct to assume that the SSH tunnel is
opened via some sort of NAT?

Cheers,
Felix

On 07/22/2010 07:58 AM, chaitanya bhatt wrote:
> Flik,
>
> Have you tried this without SSH tunneling(probably you might have to disable
> firewall for 1099 and 4000 ports. Trust me, its worth giving a try).
> The aim here is not the avoid using SSH but to determine if the problem is
> with SSH tunneling or whether its with the basic jmeter client-server
> communication itself. Once your sure that jmeter client-server communication
> works without SSH, then you can start working towards nailing down the
> problem with RMI over SSH process. Without which you would be trying to find
> a needle in the haystack(or in the stack-trace ;) ) which is obviously
> painful.

Infosys e-mail system.

Re: GUI client might not reach server through SSH tunnel

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.

Posted by chaitanya bhatt <bh...@gmail.com>.
Flik,

Have you tried this without SSH tunneling(probably you might have to disable
firewall for 1099 and 4000 ports. Trust me, its worth giving a try).
The aim here is not the avoid using SSH but to determine if the problem is
with SSH tunneling or whether its with the basic jmeter client-server
communication itself. Once your sure that jmeter client-server communication
works without SSH, then you can start working towards nailing down the
problem with RMI over SSH process. Without which you would be trying to find
a needle in the haystack(or in the stack-trace ;) ) which is obviously
painful.

-Chaitanya M Bhatt
http://www.performancecompetence.com

Posted by Flik Shen <Fl...@infosys.com>.
Hi Felix,

I didn't share you enough information and misled you.
It is all my fault.
Below are section of jmeter log file.
It seems client had successfully obtain IP address of Jmeter server.
As the IP address, I guess client will try to communicate server directly.
I tried to add route for remote 10.108.44.1 by command "route add -host 10.108.44.1 127.0.0.1"
It still could not work and error becomes SocketTimeOutException read time out.
I wonder whether there is a way client could directly touch server without intermediary RMI registry server.

2010/07/20 18:32:02 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: Loading file: SimpleTestPlan.jmx
2010/07/20 18:32:02 INFO  - jmeter.save.SaveService: Testplan (JMX) version: 2.2. Testlog (JTL) version: 2.2
2010/07/20 18:32:02 INFO  - jmeter.save.SaveService: Using SaveService properties file encoding UTF-8
2010/07/20 18:32:02 INFO  - jmeter.save.SaveService: Using SaveService properties file version 697317
2010/07/20 18:32:02 INFO  - jmeter.save.SaveService: Using SaveService properties version 2.1
2010/07/20 18:32:02 INFO  - jmeter.save.SaveService: All converter versions present and correct
2010/07/20 18:32:02 INFO  - jmeter.samplers.SampleResult: Note: Sample TimeStamps are START times
2010/07/20 18:32:02 INFO  - jmeter.samplers.SampleResult: sampleresult.default.encoding is set to ISO-8859-1
2010/07/20 18:32:02 INFO  - jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase: Cannot find .className property for htmlParser, using default
2010/07/20 18:32:02 INFO  - jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase: Parser for text/html is
2010/07/20 18:32:02 INFO  - jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase: Parser for application/xhtml+xml is
2010/07/20 18:32:02 INFO  - jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase: Parser for application/xml is
2010/07/20 18:32:02 INFO  - jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase: Parser for text/xml is
2010/07/20 18:32:02 INFO  - jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase: Parser for text/vnd.wap.wml is org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.parser.RegexpHTMLParser
2010/07/20 18:32:02 INFO  - jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSampler: Maximum connection retries = 10
2010/07/20 18:32:02 INFO  - jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSampler: Connection and read timeouts are available on this JVM
2010/07/20 18:32:02 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: Configuring remote engine for 127.0.0.1
2010/07/20 18:32:19 INFO  - jmeter.engine.ClientJMeterEngine: about to run remote test on 127.0.0.1
2010/07/20 18:32:19 INFO  - jmeter.engine.ClientJMeterEngine: done initiating run command
2010/07/20 18:32:19 INFO  - jmeter.engine.ClientJMeterEngine: running clientengine run method
2010/07/20 18:32:19 INFO  - jmeter.engine.util.CompoundVariable: Note: Function class names must contain the string: '.functions.'
2010/07/20 18:32:19 INFO  - jmeter.engine.util.CompoundVariable: Note: Function class names must not contain the string: '.gui.'
2010/07/20 18:32:19 INFO  - jmeter.engine.ConvertListeners: num threads = 10
2010/07/20 18:32:19 INFO  - jmeter.samplers.StandardSampleSender: Using Standard Remote Sampler for this test run
2010/07/20 18:32:19 INFO  - jmeter.samplers.StandardSampleSender: Using Standard Remote Sampler for this test run
2010/07/20 18:32:34 ERROR - jmeter.engine.ClientJMeterEngine:  java.rmi.ConnectIOException: Exception creating connection to: 10.108.44.1; nested exception is:
        java.net.NoRouteToHostException: connect timed out: 10.108.44.1
        at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPEndpoint.newSocket(TCPEndpoint.java:587)
        at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection(TCPChannel.java:185)
        at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(TCPChannel.java:171)
        at org.apache.jmeter.engine.RemoteJMeterEngineImpl_Stub.configure(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.jmeter.engine.ClientJMeterEngine.run(ClientJMeterEngine.java:122)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)
Caused by: java.net.NoRouteToHostException: connect timed out: 17.108.44.149

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
Flik,

Posted by Flik Shen <Fl...@infosys.com>.
Hi Felix,

You're right. It is too chary that to mask the internal IP address.

I am not sure about what kind Jmeter server listening ports you mentioned.
In my case, the listening port of Jmeter server is 4000 and RMI registry server is 1099.
Do you mean I should pay more attention to additional high numbered ports besides listening ports of Jmeter server and RMI registry server?

I also find that with or without tunnel to port 4000, I both got same error message "NoRouteToHostException".
So I guess, even though the client communicates RMI server via tunnel, it will try to reach Jmeter server by host's IP address directly.

Best regards,
Flik

On 7/20/10 6:58 PM, "Felix Frank" <ff...@mpexnet.de> wrote:

Hi,

first off, you need not anonymize internal IP adresses, I guess ;-)

I found it necessary in a similar context to be aware which ports are
actually opened by the Jmeter server, experience suggests that yet
another, quite high numbered random port is also opened. In Linux, use
netstat -tlnp to find out where Java is listening. Forward the
appropriate ports and it Should Work.

HTH
Felix

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.