Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/21 21:20:51 UTC

"Social integration" for Apache OpenOffice 4.0

Per Rob's email about the "Help us brainstorm ideas for Apache
OpenOffice 4.0" I was perusing the Google Moderator doc[1] and came
across this suggestion:

"Provide social capabilities within core editors to share selection,
page/sheet/slide, or entire document with popular services including:
micro-blogs, social networks, curation communities, and file sharing
services."

I think there's a lot to be said for this, and wouldn't mind getting
involved with such an initiative. Posting this to try and spark some
discussion around this suggestion.

My own comment, in response to Kevin's Moderator post was this:

"I like the idea of having something like this. If we had something
like that, I'd like a somewhat generic / extensible framework, so it
can be wired into pretty much any service, including services that
don't even exist today."

Any thoughts on what "social integration" for AOO should look like,
and is anyone else interested in this?

[1]: https://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=2011d5

(Disclaimer: my interest is partly - but not exclusively - motivated
by commercial concerns, as I am a founder of a startup that's working
on open source "Enterprise Social Networking" / "Enterprise 2.0"
products, and would be interested in exploring ways AOO could work
with our product(s))

Phil

Re: "Social integration" for Apache OpenOffice 4.0

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>wrote:

> KG01- see comments inline
>
> On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 <x-apple-data-detectors://48>, Rob Weir
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Phillip Rhodes
> > <motley.crue.fan@gmail.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > > Per Rob's email about the "Help us brainstorm ideas for Apache
> > > OpenOffice 4.0" I was perusing the Google Moderator doc[1] and came
> > > across this suggestion:
> > >
> > > "Provide social capabilities within core editors to share selection,
> > > page/sheet/slide, or entire document with popular services including:
> > > micro-blogs, social networks, curation communities, and file sharing
> > > services."
> > >
> > > I think there's a lot to be said for this, and wouldn't mind getting
> > > involved with such an initiative. Posting this to try and spark some
> > > discussion around this suggestion.
> > >
> > > My own comment, in response to Kevin's Moderator post was this:
> > >
> > > "I like the idea of having something like this. If we had something
> > > like that, I'd like a somewhat generic / extensible framework, so it
> > > can be wired into pretty much any service, including services that
> > > don't even exist today."
>

> KG01 - Agreed, a generic and scalable framework would be great.
>

> > > Any thoughts on what "social integration" for AOO should look like,
> > > and is anyone else interested in this?
> > >
> > > [1]: https://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=2011d5
> > >

> KG01 - I feel that there is enough momentum here to start capturing some
> usage scenarios. I can create a page on the wiki to capture some scenaios.
> Perhaps we could run a session at the upcoming November conference to
> validate and prioritize the scenarios.

Please do (start wiki page). We have a talk proposal on this topic under
review for ACE in November.

> > We (IBM) did a proof-of-concept along these lines for a demo at a
> > conference last January.
>
> Here is the general use case.   It was an
> > extension to Impress that would allow the user to send the current
> > slide to the activity stream of an OpenSocial container.  It converted
> > the slide to a JPG, presented a dialog for the user to enter a comment
> > and then used the OpenSocial REST API to send this to the server.  The
> > slide could then be viewed on the server via the containers web
> > interface.  Other users could comment on  it.  When the document
> > re-loaded into Impress the container would be queried and the latest
> > comments would be retrieved and integrated into Impress, into a side
> > panel.
> >
> > So the net result was a user could post a slide with a question like
> > "What do you think of this slide?", have it be shared with their
> > friends, and then receive comments back from them.  It demo'ed well
> > and seems to have some merit.
>

> KG01 - there it is, our first usage scenario :)
>

> > One idea would be to integrate such support and generalize it to Calc
> > and Writer.  Another idea might be to support other, non-OpenSocial
> > social networks.  The key seems to be the ability to convert a portion
> > of a document into a snippet that is web-renderable (HTML or JPG) and
> > track context.  Oh, and a lot of OAuth ;-)

+1000

> > Regards,
> >
> > -Rob
> >
> > > (Disclaimer: my interest is partly - but not exclusively - motivated
> > > by commercial concerns, as I am a founder of a startup that's working
> > > on open source "Enterprise Social Networking" / "Enterprise 2.0"
> > > products, and would be interested in exploring ways AOO could work
> > > with our product(s))

Excellent! Please pursue this opportunity.

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
KG02 - see comments inline.

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 1:18 AM, Phillip Rhodes
<mo...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I may be jumping the gun here, but I created this wiki page to give us
> a place to store ideas
> related to this:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Social+Integration

KG02 - This great, and in the right spot for now.

KG02 - The cwiki is a great place to explore the technology, discuss
requirements, and scope development feasibility. I'll create a UX design
exploration wiki page on the developer wiki to begin to flush out the
design realization. I'll cross link the two separate wikis.

Fwd: "Social integration" for Apache OpenOffice 4.0

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
KG01- see comments inline