Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2010/09/30 16:13:57 UTC

Mahout usage

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20100929005052/en/Karmasphere-Study-Shows-Hadoop-Projects-Start-Skunkworks pegs Mahout usage at 14% of 102 Hadoop devs surveyed.  Granted, its a small sample, but still pretty cool to see the word is getting out!  Now, if we could just get people to add to the Powered By page!

-Grant

Re: Mahout usage

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Oct 1, 2010, at 9:37 AM, Sean Owen wrote:

> Yes I know (directly) of 5 companies using Mahout for recommenders, and only
> 1 allows it to be mentioned -- Mippin. There are of course more that aren't
> known to me.

Likewise, recommenders have the most usage, which makes sense b/c it's the most mature at this point.  I also know of one large online music retailer that uses some of our other stuff for recommendations, but...

Twitter has hinted at usage at various conferences (NoSQLEU, I believe) and the Hadoop World interview Kevin Weil did makes a point of saying they employ a Mahout committer, i.e. Jake. (http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2010/09/twitter-analytics-lead-kevin-weil-and-a-presenter-at-hadoop-world-interviewed/).  Perhaps his talk at HW will shed some light on it.

Based on my inbox, I know the job requests for it are definitely picking up as well.

> In several cases, the people who built the system don't work directly for
> the company. They're fine with mentioning it, but it's not really their
> place or worth their time to push on the ultimate company for clearance.

We should get a "Powered By" logo up on our site for people to use.

> There are a number of interesting names on the @mahout.apache.org mailing
> lists...

Indeed.

> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> I'm working on a few...  I know they are out there, as they email in
>>> private.
>>
>> Same here: One huge fear that people seem to have is to reveal the
>> inner workings of their system not only to the public but also to
>> potential competitors by putting their name on our list.
>>
>> Isabel

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://lucenerevolution.org Apache Lucene/Solr Conference, Boston Oct 7-8

Re: Mahout usage

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Oct 2, 2010, at 3:34 AM, Sean Owen wrote:

> I'm also aware of a number of papers which at least used the code to crank
> out some results for other research:
> http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=mahout+'machine+learning'

Very cool.  Didn't think to look there.

--------------------------

Re: Mahout usage

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout usage

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout usage

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.

Re: Mahout usage

Posted by Steven Bourke <sb...@gmail.com>.
I attended ACM RecSys (http://recsys.acm.org/2010/) this week and came
across a number of people who used it. Lots of people had heard of it and
had some intention of trying it out.

Re: Mahout usage

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout usage

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.

Re: Mahout usage

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: Mahout usage

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
The best argument I have seen (with one powered-by sticker still pending) is
that it
helps with recruiting.

Re: Mahout usage

Posted by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2010, at 5:08 AM, Robin Anil wrote:
>
> > -user +dev
> >
> > well, can we get maven logs to see how developers worldwide are building.
> > That would give us an idea of the exact binary usage. I guess Apache
> Chairs
> > and PMCs ought to be able to see them ?
> > @Grant @Sean ?
>
> Huh?  Not sure what you are asking.  I don't think there is any accurate
> way of saying how many downloads there are.  We do have Google Analytics
> setup, which committers have access to, right?

I am talking about the apache maven repo. Where we push our artifacts. Their
weblogs could tell the ips requesting mahout-0.3-core.jar etc right?

Re: Mahout usage

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Oct 1, 2010, at 5:08 AM, Robin Anil wrote:
>
> > -user +dev
> >
> > well, can we get maven logs to see how developers worldwide are
> > building. That would give us an idea of the exact binary usage. I
> > guess Apache Chairs and PMCs ought to be able to see them ?
> > @Grant @Sean ?
>
> Huh?  Not sure what you are asking.

I think what Robin is hinting at is that as we publish our artifacts to
the Apache Maven repository it should be possible to get a rough
estimate of the number of people at least tinkering with Mahout from
the repository's statistics. Though that of course only counts
those developers working with Maven (or Ivy).

> I don't think there is any accurate way of saying how many downloads
> there are.

At least it's hard to come up with a reliable number of real
Mahout users when looking at downloads only...

Isabel

Re: Mahout usage

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: Mahout usage