Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com> on 2005/02/16 23:35:29 UTC

Odd issue with a few mailing lists..

I only seem to have this problem on this list and the mrtg lists... however
a number of messages come with attachments.  Looking at them, they appear
to generally be PGP keys.  Not a major issue, but now I have dozens of them
(well, more).

Not to pick on people, but just in the last few days, I see it from Theo
Van Dinter, Michael Parker, Thomas Bolioli, and that seems to be it for the
past week or so.

I'm using Eudora Windows 6.2.1.2. Any way to turn this off? The entire
contents of the attached file appear as below: (This from Theo)

As a test, I e-mailed myself the contents of the attached file, and it did
not convert it to an attachment.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Evan

Re: Odd issue with a few mailing lists..

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
At 02:53 PM 2/16/2005, you wrote:
>Note: I use Eudora.
>
>Unfortunately, this is a design "feature" of Eudora.. It always extracts
>attachments, and has to, as it does not support leaving them in the
>message mailbox. This has lead to numerous security exploits against
>eudora in the past. Since the attachment extraction happens automatically
>when the message is downloaded, malicious encodings get decoded
>automatically...
>
>Your best bet is in Eudora options, under attachments, enable the "delete
>attachments when emptying trash". This will make eudora clean up a
>messages attachments when you empty it out of your trash.. Not perfect,
>and you have to make sure to save attachments you want keep, but it's
>helpful and automated.

But it will only delete the attachment if I delete the message, correct? So
if I keep a message, it keeps the attachment. Delete the message,
attachment goes with it?

>You might also consider enabling 'put text attachments in body of
>message'... but that's a bit problematic if you really want a text
>attachment to be saved separately..

I think that's a better idea for now. :)

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.

Posted by Thomas Bolioli <tp...@terranovum.com>.
They're S/MIME digital signatures. Eudora has a habit of automatically
extracting (and severing) attachments and plopping them on the drive
somewhere of the user's choosing, providing a link to it in the email.
Most of us use clients that behave radically different. Eudora should
probably not extract attachments at all or be more selective in what it
extracts. Note: I am not trashing Eudora, I used if for 6+ years on both
Windoze and Mac. Just that one thing always got to me. I wish they would
make an option to turn off that behavior since the attachments can
easily get lost and unlinked from the original email. Like when I moved
to Apple Mail, I have thousands of emails missing the attachments...
Tom