Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Mazhar, Osman (Home Office)" <ma...@lls.org> on 2005/12/19 23:48:22 UTC

page flow configuration

Hello,

I'm new to Tapestry - and having worked with other web frameworks like
Struts and JSF - was wondering if there is a page flow configuration file
that could be setup in Tapestry. So far, from all the examples I have seen,
it looks like in order to drive the user from one page to another you have
to call cycle.activate() and pass it the name of the page.

Is cycle.activate() the only way of going from one page to another - or can
this be encapsulated in a config file - i.e. outside of the java code?

Osman Mazhar

Sr Technical Architect

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

1311 Mamaroneck Avenue

White Plains, NY 10605

914-821-8210

NOTICE: This message, including all attachments transmitted with it, is for
the use of the addressee only. It may contain proprietary, confidential
and/or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is
waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
print or copy any part of this message. If you believe you have received
this message in error, please delete it and all copies of it from your
system and notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail. Thank you.
REF#38293.51942

This e-mail has been scanned by The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Managed Email Content Service, provided by MCI and Message Labs.

Re: page flow configuration

Posted by Richard Clark <rd...@nextquestion.net>.
On Dec 19, 2005, at 14:48, Mazhar, Osman (Home Office) wrote:

> Is cycle.activate() the only way of going from one page to another
> - or can
> this be encapsulated in a config file - i.e. outside of the java code?

Tapestry has no built-in way to set up page flow via an external
file, though I could think of several ways to do it fairly easily.

If you wanted to code it yourself, you could do it by writing a bit
of code to read your table definition, then:
1) Creating a common subclass for all of your pages and include the
"go to next page" feature there, or
2) Put the "look up and go to next page" function in a utility class
and plug it into Hivemind (for Tapestry 4), then...
2a) inject this information into each page, or
2b) intercept (via Hivemind) whatever function you're calling from a
page's form and trigger the redirection to the next page.

There might even be a good place to just stick a class in the request
processing pipeline. Howard could likely tell you.

  ...Richard

P.S. Tapestry is rather different from Struts or JSF. I consider that
a feature (as surely many others here do.) You might spend some more
time prototyping with it and then see if you're still hungering for
an external page-flow configuration file.