Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org> on 2015/03/16 10:09:02 UTC

Ignite Community Page

I have finally found time to add the community page:
https://ignite.incubator.apache.org/community.html

Please let me know if it is missing anything.

D.

Re: Ignite Community Page

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Gentlemen,

I want to propose to have a timeout in this thread. I am geographically close
to Gridgain - literally about 25 minutes drive - so I will go there in person
and will try to cross the T's and clarify any issues they might have about the
Apache's incubation requirements and why mentors are asking for certain things
to be done.

Let's chill out and take a couple days off on this issue. In the meanwhile, we
have a great progress with the release so let's finish that one.

Thanks,
  Cos

Re: Ignite Community Page

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 17.03.2015 09:25, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 12:38 AM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> I'll take a look and follow up as soon as planetcassandra.org actually
>>> loads for me ... right now it's either down, or my 'net is hosed.
>>
>> Right, let's begin with the first impression of the site:
>>
>>   * planetcassandra.org does not use the Cassandra logo, clearly states
>>     trademark attribution to the ASF, and clearly states this is a
>>     "Datastax community service"
>>
> I honestly do not see your point.
>
> In the interests of removing any hypocrisy from your argument, if you look
> on this page "http://planetcassandra.org/cassandra/", then it specifically
> says directly in the BOLD HEADER: "Download DataStax Community Edition —
> Apache Cassandra™". Now, I can make the same argument, that for my
> intentionally naive views, it seems like DataStax is actually in charge of
> official releases of Apache Cassandra. Of course, no one in their right
> mind actually does think that.
>
> With that in mind, I believe that saying "Apache Ignite Developer Hub Run
> By GridGain" is as clear as a bell and we should stop nitpicking here. If
> you still disagree, then provide sound reasoning accompanied by the text
> that in your mind will be proper here.

I'm going to say this just once: *YOU* are here to learn how the ASF
works. *I* am trying to help you understand the rules and am doing my
best to explain them and the reasons for them. Calling the *volunteer*
effort I'm putting into this "nitpicking" is less than polite. Telling
me to write content for GridGain's site in my free time is tastless, to
put it mildly.

You seem to assume that our trademark policies are just an impediment
that must be removed with minimal effort, and that vendor neutrality is
just a marketing buzzword, despite my explaining time and again why
that's not the case.

Remind me, why do you think It's a good idea that I spend several hours
a week helping a podling, just to be insulted in public by the likes of you?

-- Brane

Re: Ignite Community Page

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@gridgain.com>.

Re: Ignite Community Page

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Ignite Community Page

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Ignite Community Page

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 01:05PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> Not sure why it is an issue. Community forum is a much more superior and
> user-friendly way to get answers to the questions than the dev list. As a
> matter of fact, based on Google Analytics, the community forum right now is
> one of the most visited parts of the site. We all know how many questions

Perhaps it is the case. On a contrary though - it'd require me to have an
extra effort to monitor the forum, whereas emails are just get deliverd to my
inbox. Which is why your idea of forwarding to dev@ might work. Thanks!

Re: Ignite Community Page

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 01:05PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> Not sure why it is an issue. Community forum is a much more superior and
> user-friendly way to get answers to the questions than the dev list. As a
> matter of fact, based on Google Analytics, the community forum right now is
> one of the most visited parts of the site. We all know how many questions
> we got on the dev list before we had the community forum (I think there was
> only 1).
>
> Is this just a preference or a documented requirement?

I believe it is again the issue of 'where's the source', but perhaps it is a
more grey area than in case of documentation.

Re: Ignite Community Page

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@gridgain.com>.
Btw, we might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone if I setup community
forum questions to automatically forward to the dev list. I maybe able to
set this up when email notifications actually do start working altogether.

D.

Re: Ignite Community Page

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Re: Ignite Community Page